Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First pizza mod and cook. Thanks WKC!!  (Read 4584 times)

gchenworth

• Smokey Joe
Re: First pizza mod and cook. Thanks WKC!!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
After debating the options for pizza on the weber, I concluded that the mod above was what I wanted to do.  I think I was originally inspired by varekai's post and at his suggestion, left the rim in place.  But I did purchase the tombstone.  I expected my first pie to be a fail based on what everyone suggested would be a learning curve but to my surprise, both pies I made came out surprisingly well.  I used some over-fermented dough because I didn't want to work that hard for the initial test but I was happily surprised.  Except for the slightly funky taste of the dough, both the bottom and toppings came out darn near perfectly and only took about couple minutes to cook.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
Good to hear you had a win on your first cook. I'm having lots of fun with mine experimenting the last three weekends out of four. I used it to make Naan bread for the fam last weekend (with lamb and peppers) and they said the naan was as good as "store bought." I guess that's a win?  Anyways, I've be ask for a gluten free weekend. So I guess I'll take a breather for a bit while planning my next experiment. Crusty French bread perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

N8Ballz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »
Zang[emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Stewart

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »
Does the dome of the lid create an issue if youre trying to keep the heat low across the top of the pie?

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 03:25:04 PM »
Not really, if you notice the slot opening is rather narrow and the grate has been elevated.  The third elevated basket is where I through the wood chunks. The flames roll over the top of the lid and hence the top of the pie.  I've seen some posts where heat deflectors have been mounted in the lid. So far I haven't needed that addition.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 02:47:46 AM »
Interesting mod on the kettle lid/dome.

Might keep an eye out on a unit to do this to.
-Which size works better an 18 or a 22?
-In the UK we also get a compact version, lower dome height, would that work better?

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »
I've only done the 22". I believe you could do on an 18" but your opening will be based on the size of your peel