Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Been Asked to BBQ for a Wedding  (Read 3517 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Been Asked to BBQ for a Wedding
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
Like many of you, I'm known as the BBQ master in my family. I've been asked to do pulled pork for a nephew's wedding. I'm very close to this nephew and actually want to be at his wedding, not sweating over the WSM. I thought I'd get some advice from the WKC.

I told my nephew that I'm good at the BBQing but not into the fancy food set up for the reception, he'll have to have someone else for that. So that won't be on my shoulders. From what I've heard here, I'm thinking I can do the pork way in advance, vac seal it with my foodsaver and freeze it till I need it for the wedding. I can heat it up in boiling water and keep my wedding day work load to a minimum.

They're planning on 120 for the reception so I'm thinking of going with 80 pounds of untrimmed pork butt. Sound like a good number?

We can boil the vac-sealed pork, fluff it up a bit and put it in the trays with bbq sauce choices on the side. People here have said that pork done this way is impossible to tell apart from stuff that was smoke the same day. Do you agree with that?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Been Asked to BBQ for a Wedding
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
They're planning on 120 for the reception so I'm thinking of going with 80 pounds of untrimmed pork butt. Sound like a good number?

We can boil the vac-sealed pork, fluff it up a bit and put it in the trays with bbq sauce choices on the side. People here have said that pork done this way is impossible to tell apart from stuff that was smoke the same day. Do you agree with that?

I generally agree with this but don't overboil the pork. Keep some of the drippings to add some flavor after pulling
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »
Thanks for that @pbe gummi bear. This is why I love the WKC.

I don't want to end up with pork that looks flat or "old." So, you're saying to add back some of the drippings. Will it "fluff up" pretty well as long as I don't over boil it?

How do I know when it's boiled enough? I've seen some people say to put the frozen bags in the boiling water. Would you do it like that, or should it be thawed out first?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
Thanks for that @pbe gummi bear. This is why I love the WKC.

I don't want to end up with pork that looks flat or "old." So, you're saying to add back some of the drippings. Will it "fluff up" pretty well as long as I don't over boil it?

How do I know when it's boiled enough? I've seen some people say to put the frozen bags in the boiling water. Would you do it like that, or should it be thawed out first?

I would add the drippings after it's heated up because the liquid will increase the risk of it turning mushy.

The ideal way to reheat it is just to reheat it up to the temp you want to serve it at, no more and no less, and serve shortly thereafter. Remember that boiling water is ~212F but you probably don't need/want to take it up to that high of a temp, let alone hold it at that temp for an extended period of time. You will also want to consider how you cut/pull it before freezing and who will pull and serve it on the day of. Are you working with a caterer and are they willing to pull it that day? It will also be easier to reheat smaller chunks of pulled pork vs a whole butt.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Janthony13

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »
Honestly I’d do it 3-4 days
before the wedding. It will hold fine in the fridge. Re heat in gently simmering water. Don’t boil it. Check temp on the pork. You have to reheat it to 165 to be safe.  Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
Honestly I’d do it 3-4 days
before the wedding. It will hold fine in the fridge. Re heat in gently simmering water. Don’t boil it. Check temp on the pork. You have to reheat it to 165 to be safe.  Good luck

So, would you vac-seal it for that short of a time?

Janthony13

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
Yes. It would make reheating easier and make sure water doesn’t enter the bags. By the way I am a professional chef

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
Dang, I'm listening to you for sure now @Janthony13 !!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
Also...

To add to what @Janthony13 says...

1) Inject if you can. I personally like BPS Pork Prod because it doesn’t stain and really compliments the meat. It will be juicy for days!

2) Foil them at 150-160. They cook quickly and the foil will capture the juices you are trying to retain.

3) Leave the pork in chunks when putting into the bags. Sure remove some of the unrendered fat throughout, but don’t do a final “pull” until the big day. The texture will be better (lower the risk of mushiness).

If you only do one of those suggestions...please do #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
Awesome advice @Mike in Roseville . I appreciate it!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
Have you ever vac bagged and reheated?  It works great but it’s worth rehearsing if you haven’t done it to sort out timing and routine so your not scrambling the day of. Do a couple butts, vac, freeze or refrigerate and reheat. You’ll be glad you rehearsed.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »
So he wouldn’t need to freeze them if he did them two days ahead of time and vac sealed. Just refrigerate, then reheat the bags. I agree though, practice it first.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 06:13:58 AM »
Have you ever vac bagged and reheated?  It works great but it’s worth rehearsing if you haven’t done it to sort out timing and routine so your not scrambling the day of. Do a couple butts, vac, freeze or refrigerate and reheat. You’ll be glad you rehearsed.

I have done it but it was only one bag of leftovers not this scale. Great idea on this. I will do this exact thing, the whole process. The great thing is that I will get to eat the experiment!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:16:06 AM by Mark Schnell »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »

I have done it but it was only one bag of leftovers not this scale. Great idea on this. I will do this exact thing, the whole process. The great thing is that I will get to eat the experiment!!

Mark,

Just a thought:

If they weren't frozen, you could simply open the vac bags, put them in a foil pan (covered with foil) and reheat in the oven on the big day. For a larger scale it might be easier than reheating in water?

Curious to see what process you come up with.

Cheers!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »

Mark,

Just a thought:

If they weren't frozen, you could simply open the vac bags, put them in a foil pan (covered with foil) and reheat in the oven on the big day. For a larger scale it might be easier than reheating in water?

Curious to see what process you come up with.

Cheers!

I like this idea. If it were me, I would skip the vac bag altogether and use ziplock if not freezing. I would also wrap the last half of the cook and save and defat the juices to reserve to add back when reheating as needed. However this is just a theory. I’ve never done any on this scale but vac bagging that much pork would be a pita.