Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex ribs  (Read 4650 times)

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex ribs
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »
I think the original post was about "individual cut ribs" around the vortex...As much as I love the vortex I doubt this plan will produce good ribs...BUT I could be wrong...

As for high heat ribs on the grill...Well that is a proven technique...It makes some great ribs...I still like mine low and slow...It works for me...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex ribs
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
I think the original post was about "individual cut ribs" around the vortex...As much as I love the vortex I doubt this plan will produce good ribs...BUT I could be wrong...

As for high heat ribs on the grill...Well that is a proven technique...It makes some great ribs...I still like mine low and slow...It works for me...

You are correct. My apologies to the op for the thread drift. I got a little carried away.

I had done hot and fast but not with a wrap involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »
They still turned out amazing!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »
Damn look how clean that bone is. Nicely done brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »
No worries at all guys on the drifting away from the original post. This is great. I will definitely be trying you hot and fast method out this weekend with my homemade sns. The whole point of this post was to try and find a way to cook ribs that are moist and tender in a shorter period of time and it looks like I found it. My family loves my low and slow ribs but lots of times I don’t have 6 hours to babysit the weber so this sounds real interesting. Thanks

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
Tried the hot and fast as described above and I gotta say that it worked beautifully. Loaded a full chimney of lit kingsford in the SnS and left the vents wide open, tossed the ribs on indirect, after an hour I foiled and added apple juice and apple cider vinegar for another hour and fifteen minutes, then removed from foil and sauced and cooked another fifteen minutes. They were tender, moist. I actually like them better this way than the 3-2-1 method I have been doing. They held together better but were really tender. I could pull the bones right out of the meat.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »
Beautiful!  It is a fantastic method.  Those look perfect.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
The lid thermometer right above the coals was pretty much a constant 525* except for brief moment when it jumped to over 600* but a small adjustment on the air inlet and it settled right back down to 500ish. I was concerned that I was going to burn them at those temps but never did. I was under the false impression that ribs had to be cooked low and slow for 6 hours to become tender. I learn something new every day

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
First I would like to extend my apologies to @WMT for drifting off of the original question...Sorry! I should have said this earlier... I have never done ribs cut apart like chicken wings, but I would be scared that they would turn out dry, and this would also make them chewy. For that reason I don't know if I would try making rib jerky just because I want to try it. ;-) seems like a waste of ribs just to say I tried it.
I did another batch of ribs today... nom nom.. and your temps are right on the mark with mine. I'm happy that you tried this and after seeing the photos, they look great!
Trading cooking ideas and learning new Tips & Tricks is a Super Plus I get from everyone here at WKC !!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
Those look really, really good @WMT ! ! !  Going to have to give that method a try next time.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:30 PM »
I've completely lost track of where this thread is going - ribs, high heat, vortex, SnS...

But the ribs on page one looked real good.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 10:25:50 PM »
First I would like to extend my apologies to @WMT for drifting off of the original question...Sorry! I should have said this earlier... I have never done ribs cut apart like chicken wings, but I would be scared that they would turn out dry, and this would also make them chewy. For that reason I don't know if I would try making rib jerky just because I want to try it. ;-) seems like a waste of ribs just to say I tried it.
I did another batch of ribs today... nom nom.. and your temps are right on the mark with mine. I'm happy that you tried this and after seeing the photos, they look great!
Trading cooking ideas and learning new Tips & Tricks is a Super Plus I get from everyone here at WKC !!

No apologies nessesary, but you are right on the cooking of the individual ribs, that was the main topic, but maybe not explained that well on my part. I agree that they would probably dry out quite bad. Either way, any tips and tricks on grilling is a huge bonus and because of it, I have found a great way to cook ribs. This is a great site, and because of the cooking tips from the guys here, I have become a much better griller.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »
Those look really, really good @WMT ! ! !  Going to have to give that method a try next time.

BD

Thanks