Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: slow n sear question  (Read 2197 times)

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
Re: slow n sear question
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »
I did not realize how much I would use the SnS until I actually had one. 99% of my cooks, mostly 2 zone grilling, see the SnS. I love it!!

It's kind of silly but, I never thought of using the sns for 2 zone cooking other than for a indirect cooking. I usually just spread the coals around to accomplish that. But as addicted to smoke pointed out with the water resevoir acting as an insulating heat deflector, it definately stops the heat right there. I found that out a few days ago when I did my first hot and fast rib cook. The ribs were very close to the edge of the resevoir but did not burn and the temp gauge was reading 500*+ above the coals. Using the sns for 2 zone cooking would give 2 very distinct cooking zones. I will have to try this out.
It does exactly as you say. With no water in the reservoir, I can place food right up against it and have it cook just as evenly as food placed on the far end of the cooking grate. And when it’s time to sear, nothing sears better then the SnS...at least nothing I have ever tried.