Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked meatloaf with question  (Read 1739 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Smoked meatloaf with question
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »
This was my first time making meatloaf ever. I followed this recipe https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/grilled-meatloaf-for-dinner except I subbed out the eggs and milk for apple sauce because of allergies in the house.

Before saucing

After first saucing

Done!

It was really good and my wife was impressed! There wasn't really much of a smoke ring though. I was aiming for something like that in the Weber recipe. Actually the past several things I tried smoke there wasn't much but of a smoke ring. I'm still relatively new to smoking. I didn't do anything different, roughly from fridge to grill, same amount of wood chunks. Exhaust vent over food, coals banked on opposite side. The only thing I can think of is I tried putting the meat as far away from the coals as I could. Would that make it so that less smoke hits it because of the way it rises? Oh I also put on the wood the same time at the meat. It starts smoking nearly immediately but should the wood go on first for a little bit then put the meat on?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoked meatloaf with question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:42:05 AM »
I really like Amazing Ribs dot com. Great science in the art of smoking. Lots of good info if you start reading on this site too.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:48:54 AM »
Looks great!
How much applesauce did you use to substitute the eggs & milk?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
What was the heat range and cook time? Could you possibly lower the temps and give it more time to absorb the smoke?

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
I have smoked meatloaf a few times. I use my 18.5” WSM and maintain ~ 250 to 275 F. I cook to an internal temperature of 155 F, let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Usually takes about 2 to 2 hrs 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
I personally cook meatloaf around 275-300 degrees For food safety reasons...It is ground meat after all...And I don't see how meatloaf would benefit from low and slow...Smoke ring is way over-rated in my book...Does nothing for the flavor at all...Kinda purty but that's all...

Your loaf looks great from here...If the wife likes it then don't change a thing...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
Yours look good @SMOKE FREAK and if the family is impressed, why change?

Here are some I did a couple of weeks ago.  I did them with the Slow 'n Sear.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »
Those all look great you guys - nice job! I've been hooked on this recipe recently...

Jack'd up Smoked Meatloaf:
https://heygrillhey.com/recipe/jackd-up-smoked-meatloaf/

I've made it 3 times in 3 weeks now :o

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »
Looks great!
How much applesauce did you use to substitute the eggs & milk?

Maybe I missed it but I would also like to know your ratio of applesauce per pound of meat please.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I cooked it at 300F. I didn't have an exact formula for how much applesauce to sub in. I followed this recipe and used 2TBSP of applesauce, except I had 2lb of meat instead of 1.5lb.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Smoked meatloaf with question
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 05:04:52 AM »
I just use two baskets of charcoal and leave the vents wide open.  I believe it gets the grill to about 350.  It takes a little an hour and a half or so to cook two loaves.  I use this mix from BJ’s that has beef, pork, and veal.  I’ve used Apple, pecan, and cherry. All are really good, and cherry yields a nice smoke ring. 

Don’t forget the bacon wrap!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:08:26 AM by namtrag »

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »

Those all look great you guys - nice job! I've been hooked on this recipe recently...

Jack'd up Smoked Meatloaf:
https://heygrillhey.com/recipe/jackd-up-smoked-meatloaf/

I've made it 3 times in 3 weeks now :o

This recipe attracted me because of the Jack Daniels. I used regular JD in the recipe and JD Tennessee Honey for the sauce. Family loved it but only adjustment next time is a little less pepper flakes in the sauce so it’s not so hot. Thanks for mentioning it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app