Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Basic rotisserie vs not-rotisserie question re: TURKEY  (Read 4830 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Re: Basic rotisserie vs not-rotisserie question re: TURKEY
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
I'll have to check but I like the look of this one.

http://smoke-ez.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:27:01 AM by Joetee »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
My father in law wants his turkey very "traditional" so that includes stuffing the bird.
I stuffed last year and did it on the rotisserie, just didn't over stuff it, and tied it up tight, everything turned out great.
I like/know the benefits of cooking a bird not stuffed, but don't know if I could get away with it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »
I may need to rethink what may be a somewhat "romantic" rotisserie influence on me. We're not a sit-down-together crew over here, and don't need an impressive "table presentation" dinner. I might wind up doing a bunch of turkey legs and breast separately even though it's more expensive to buy them that way. I'd still want to brine and rotisserie however.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
I don’t stuff my bird, except for a few slices of apples to add to the flavor. A stuffed bird extends your cooking time by a bunch, and, more than likely, your breast will be dry. I do two birds every year, and my family loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
Also, ever since I started smoking our birds, my wife loves having the kitchen to herself and the oven dedicated for the sides!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »

My father in law wants his turkey very "traditional" so that includes stuffing the bird.

Really? Around here whoever cooks the bird can do it how they want. If my mother in law wants to cook the bird, stuffed and wrapped in foil, at her house...ok.

At my house it’s game on.

I told my mother in law you may not even see a turkey on the table this year if we are hosting. Could be a duck? Or carnitas...or ribs.

This is the main reason why I am all for Friendsgiving. Cook what you want and have a good time. Leave all the expectations and Donna Reed dinners at the door.

Ok I’m done ;)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Basic rotisserie vs not-rotisserie question re: TURKEY
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
Both sides of my wife and I’s family either fry, smoke, grill, or rotisserie turkey. That parts great. However my wife’s family likes to cook and carve the turkey way before dinner and it’s room temp by the time we get there. The chef is passed out on the couch when we arrive stuffed full of hot delicious turkey and whiskey. That’s my only complaint lol

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Basic rotisserie vs not-rotisserie question re: TURKEY
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »
Roti spin vs no spin.  My turkey last year stopped spinning about 25 minutes into the cook.  I have an older Weber ring retro fitted with a charbroil motor and spit that I got on HD clearance.  The frickin spit is round except for one flat spot.  It sucks.  Anyways, I ended up pulling the spit, putting it into the foil tin that was intended to be for roti drippings, and setting all of it at regular grate height, still with roti ring and lid.  So about the same level.  My family was still blown away by how much flavor there was and how juicy it was compared to the safety bird my mom made...just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »

Both sides of my wife and I’s family either fry, smoke, grill, or rotisserie turkey. That parts great. However my wife’s family likes to cook and carve the turkey way before dinner and it’s room temp by the time we get there. The chef is passed out on the couch when we arrive stuffed full of hot delicious turkey and whiskey. That’s my only complaint lol

I understand Chef’s Privilege but that is some bull-shizz!!!!

At least my MIL overcooks the turkey and struggles through it with all of us!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:40 PM »
I may need to rethink what may be a somewhat "romantic" rotisserie influence on me. We're not a sit-down-together crew over here, and don't need an impressive "table presentation" dinner. I might wind up doing a bunch of turkey legs and breast separately even though it's more expensive to buy them that way. I'd still want to brine and rotisserie however.
There is nothing romantic about it....brine the bird & roti the bird with limited & mild smoke...it is work & there are easier ways....what's more , it is actually more work than some other methods.....but it tastes better than any method, bar none, and is almost impossible to mess up.  You won't regret it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
There is nothing romantic about it....brine the bird & roti the bird with limited & mild smoke...it is work & there are easier ways....what's more , it is actually more work than some other methods.....but it tastes better than any method, bar none, and is almost impossible to mess up.  You won't regret it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster can now "drop the mic."  8)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 06:44:15 AM »
I'd still want to brine and rotisserie however.

Yes, and now I'm entertaining basket ideas. Again. But I don't necessarily want to "tumble" food nor clamp it too tightly.

Bought a frozen duck on a lark (see what I did there ... ) the other day. I think it's 7lbs. Or was it $7, I forget. May or may not cook it ahead of Thanksgiving. i don't want to avoid it but the duck is another subject (see what I did there ... )
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
I have never span (spinned?) a turkey but when I do chickens I fill them up with herbs and lemons/limes...Then I plug the opening with an onion...Turns out great...But it's gonna take a big friggin onion to plug up a turkey...

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
This thread has solidified my need to do a roti turkey for thanksgiving on my ssp... any recommendations on a roti? Weber? Those cheap ones on Amazon? Anyone looking to get rid of one that can get to me quickly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
Cajun bandit. Coupon code turkey10 will save you 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk