Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If I could only have 1  (Read 6609 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
If I could only have 1
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »
I would probably do what this guy did

https://youtu.be/xf_nyUNEK4w

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: If I could only have 1
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:32:31 AM »
Not a terrible idea.  I don't know if I could get by with just one though.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »
I couldn’t hear anything he said when I saw that Gamecocks shirt. Go Clemson!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »
Props for the interesting mod. That said, you don’t have “two grills” when doing it. It’s this or that, not both.

And that’s assuming the performance is the same as a kettle’s, which isn’t a given, because lid heights would be different. I’d probably have to spend that $7 on the “charcoal” grate a few times over, each summer.

But I think I saw a clue as to why he wants a Weber kettle.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
If I could only have 1
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
If he’s happy, that’s great. I think it’s ridiculous. A kettle is inexpensive. I would have bought a brand new kettle rather than buy all that gadgetry and been money ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:49:30 AM by HoosierKettle »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
If wasn't in the middle of this I'd check the size of the charcoal grate on the 26er.  I looks like it'd be pretty close.

BD
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:12:07 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
groundbreaking stuff right there
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
Great personality, he could do infomercials. No Weber Collector would ever find a reason not to have another kettle.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
If he’s happy, that’s great. I think it’s ridiculous. A kettle is inexpensive. I would have bought a brand new kettle rather than buy all that gadgetry and been money ahead.

I watched a few of his videos and was like damn he has close to 700 or so invested into this. He may be an old retired guy who has money and is bored out of his mind

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
If I could only have 1
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 12:35:24 AM »

I watched a few of his videos and was like damn he has close to 700 or so invested into this. He may be an old retired guy who has money and is bored out of his mind

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of being able to grill on the wsm and the ability to use grilling accessories, but I don’t see it as a practical solution or money saving solution. Let’s examine. Ash removal and clean up would be more difficult, if you have room for a 22 wsm and own one you probably already have a kettle, the sns was designed to turn a kettle into a smoker (wrap your head around that for a second [emoji12]), a nice one touch black kettle can be had for $20, I doubt very seriously it will perform as well as a kettle and you would be heating the large body of a wsm in an uneven way which may be bad in the long run, a wsm does not perform well in the rain as it’s design funnels water to the inside. A kettle can be used in the rain without issue. A kettle will perform better in cold weather as there is less metal to heat up, I could go on and on and on but this mod does not replace a kettle imo.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:37:54 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:10 AM »
Yes, he's having fun and that's what makes these toys interesting: seeing if you can design a hack to increase some attribute.

Contrast his setup with say, a Summit Charcoal. Ignoring for the moment the differing capacities for smoking, the Summit was engineered to come from the factory "hacked" for better performance. I suspect a guy like our YouTuber here, even if he had the scratch to buy one, would be bored to tears with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 05:09:14 AM »
I'm all for creativity, but I can't watch the video here at work.

What exactly did he do?
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 05:37:42 AM »
He installed shelf pin brackets (with the pin punched out) to support a second cook grate 5" below the top cook grate.

The new cook grate (a cheap aftermarket 21") serves as his charcoal grate when wanting to use the WSM "as a kettle." The 5" distance allows use of a Slow n Sear, and he's got a GBS cook grate up top and so on.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 05:50:42 AM »
Oh ok.  Because the WSM already allows you to grill by moving that grate up, I guess it was the way Jay (the engineer, Jay Alden who worked on the SnS kit around 2007/8) spec'd out that kit.

YMMV, but I'm always up for creativity!  I'll have to check out the video later this week.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 06:13:54 AM »
I suppose you could place a WSM's charcoal grate on top of its already-available second-position cook grate, but that's still father away from the top grate than the 5" that this guy did.

The SnS is an aftermarket accessory for the kettle line, and not a Weber design. https://abcbarbecue.com