Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If I could only have 1  (Read 6605 times)

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Re: If I could only have 1
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:58 AM »
Heh... yeah, that's right.  Jay did the Wok thing and all that. 

The original WSM, and a feature I maintained, was the ability to move the charcoal grate up to the lower cook grate position and then grill on the upper grate.  It was in the original manual from the Erich Schlosser release and they felt it was important to have that on the 14/18/22 when I designed, updated them.  If they changed it since 2008, well possibly.

I have grilled on a 14 and 18 WSM with favorable results.  I mean after all, it is just heat.

As for the specifics and someone looking for a magic number (5" away with such and such charcoal with the sun at 18degrees during a full moon) well.. Have at it.

Thank you for the clarification A-T-S!  I appreciate it.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »
I remember seeing a post on this site for one of the original WSM instruction manuals showing different cooking set ups.   I cannot find the thread.

Direct grilling was one of the set up options along with steaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:54 AM »
Found it.  I wonder if these set ups work in the current versions of the WSM?

1981 WSM cookbook http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=32855

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
If I could only have 1
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 07:48:45 AM »
My apologies for knocking a creative mod. I just couldn’t wrap my head around trying to find a way not to use a kettle. [emoji16]

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 09:09:51 AM »
If he’s happy, that’s great. I think it’s ridiculous. A kettle is inexpensive. I would have bought a brand new kettle rather than buy all that gadgetry and been money ahead.

I watched a few of his videos and was like damn he has close to 700 or so invested into this. He may be an old retired guy who has money and is bored out of his mind

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of being able to grill on the wsm and the ability to use grilling accessories, but I don’t see it as a practical solution or money saving solution. Let’s examine. Ash removal and clean up would be more difficult, if you have room for a 22 wsm and own one you probably already have a kettle, the sns was designed to turn a kettle into a smoker (wrap your head around that for a second [emoji12]), a nice one touch black kettle can be had for $20, I doubt very seriously it will perform as well as a kettle and you would be heating the large body of a wsm in an uneven way which may be bad in the long run, a wsm does not perform well in the rain as it’s design funnels water to the inside. A kettle can be used in the rain without issue. A kettle will perform better in cold weather as there is less metal to heat up, I could go on and on and on but this mod does not replace a kettle imo.

Agreed. I think he likes it more as a hot and fast setup with direct heat. But yea there's way to much surface area to get hot in order to do any normal kettle style cooking. Unless he took the mid section off and used it as a quick grill that way. All of his idea were pretty cool but would never do personally cuz , well, we all have an abundance of different cookers ha ha . I'd rather spend the few bucks on a Cajun bandit stacker and turn a kettle into a "WSM" than the other way around

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 10:00:37 AM »

If he’s happy, that’s great. I think it’s ridiculous. A kettle is inexpensive. I would have bought a brand new kettle rather than buy all that gadgetry and been money ahead.

I watched a few of his videos and was like damn he has close to 700 or so invested into this. He may be an old retired guy who has money and is bored out of his mind

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of being able to grill on the wsm and the ability to use grilling accessories, but I don’t see it as a practical solution or money saving solution. Let’s examine. Ash removal and clean up would be more difficult, if you have room for a 22 wsm and own one you probably already have a kettle, the sns was designed to turn a kettle into a smoker (wrap your head around that for a second [emoji12]), a nice one touch black kettle can be had for $20, I doubt very seriously it will perform as well as a kettle and you would be heating the large body of a wsm in an uneven way which may be bad in the long run, a wsm does not perform well in the rain as it’s design funnels water to the inside. A kettle can be used in the rain without issue. A kettle will perform better in cold weather as there is less metal to heat up, I could go on and on and on but this mod does not replace a kettle imo.

Agreed. I think he likes it more as a hot and fast setup with direct heat. But yea there's way to much surface area to get hot in order to do any normal kettle style cooking. Unless he took the mid section off and used it as a quick grill that way. All of his idea were pretty cool but would never do personally cuz , well, we all have an abundance of different cookers ha ha . I'd rather spend the few bucks on a Cajun bandit stacker and turn a kettle into a "WSM" than the other way around

Do you have a rotisserie?  I’ve considered modifying it to become a stacker but haven’t done it yet.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
If I could only own one, it would be a 26 kettle.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »
If I could only own one, it would be a 26 kettle.

Me too, I have 3
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
"I'd rather spend the few bucks on a Cajun bandit stacker and turn a kettle into a "WSM" than the other way around"

^^
THIS!!!  All day Long...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »

And that’s assuming the performance is the same as a kettle’s, which isn’t a given, because lid heights would be different. I’d probably have to spend that $7 on the “charcoal” grate a few times over, each summer.

If wasn't in the middle of this I'd check the size of the charcoal grate on the 26er.  I looks like it'd be pretty close.

Just to follow up, the charcoal grate on my 26er is 21¾".  So you might be able to squeeze it in there, but it would be a tight fit.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
I’d have this one...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 04:12:14 PM »
That's what I'm talking about
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 04:04:11 AM »
I've seen that double kettle on another forum.  I likes.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 04:47:13 AM »
I've seen that double kettle on another forum.  I likes.

I’ve seen it in back yard👍 Ever since I finished it.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!