Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SnS + KettlePizza = Pretty fantastic combo  (Read 5858 times)

theduke

• Smokey Joe
SnS + KettlePizza = Pretty fantastic combo
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
So after several months of experimenting with variations on the the "Pacman" style setup, I'm back to the SnS with the KP and pretty certain its as close to an ideal setup as I've found so far. A basket and a half of Kingsford Competition and a few wood splits gets me 900+ on the steel and consistent 500-600 on the deck. The height of the SnS puts the heat source nearly even with the deck where it belongs. I scatter about 20 coals under the stone to get it to temp without getting it so hot it burns the pies. An added bonus is between the SnS and the SS baking steel, temps to the kettle arent any higher than doing a hot cook so I'm able to run my vintage kettles if I choose. I still use a lid from a beater most times just in case but old habits die hard haha

A "hack" I'm sure most of you already know when re-using charcoal in baskets, Vortex etc...after lit, setting the chimney over top of the unlit coals allows embers to fall and light them while the chimney does its thing.

Generally use 2 splits this size. Never more than 3. I leave the steel off until it catches then close it up.

Deck.

"Dome"

Recipe I use makes 4 10-11" pies.

Dome too hot to really get the onion where I wanted it but still a really delicious pie!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:09:44 AM by theduke »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: SnS + KettlePizza = Pretty fantastic combo
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for sharing these details @theduke!  Haven't done pizza in months but I will be doing some this weekend.  I've wondered about using the SNS.  I might have to give it a try.  In fact I might have to do a test run this evening.  Using the SNS makes sense because it will really focus the heat.

So you put some coals under the stone, but the main source of heat was only in the back?  No coals along the sides?  Dang you have me curious about this.  I might have to do a lunchtime test run without pizza just to see this in action!  Seems to me having wood in one focused area instead of in the back and the sides will make everything more efficient and will use less wood than I typically use for a pizza cook.  I usually go through close to a full bag of weber mesquite chunks when I do a 8 pizza cook.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Thanks buddy!
Yep a full chimney and a half (minus the 20 or so I scatter under the stone) and the splits are the sole heat source. None around the sides whatsoever. By the time the splits are really roaring the coals under the stone are nearly spent but theyve gotten the stone to temp and the rest keep it there.  A thicker stone might hold the temp a little better but until my pizza making skills catch up with the setup I'll wait to experiment with that haha
It's not entirely without it's flaws. If you wait too long to get the pies in, the stone isn't quite as hot as it could be but still works really well. Also bc the SnS juts out under the back of the stone if you're not careful its easy to get a REALLY charred ring around the outer edge on the bottom but nothing inedible by any stretch of the imagination.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:24:01 PM by theduke »

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
I should add that when I put the splits on I leave everything wide open until they catch fire, THEN put the steel on, and once I'm sure the fire is good and hot I put the kettle lid on. I've made the mistake in the past of covering too quickly and it just snuffs out the splits to where they smolder rather than a good strong flame.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
Wow great setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »

A "hack" I'm sure most of you already know when re-using charcoal in baskets, Vortex etc...after lit, setting the chimney over top of the unlit coals allows embers to fall and light them while the chimney does its thing....

Actually, I'm trying to visualize the workflow here. The chimney is used for the extra coals, or the SnS has the extra coals?

I can see how embers falling on unlit could start them below, but wouldn't that take a long time, and meanwhile you have lit coals in the chimney burning away. Why not dump the lit on top of the unlit? Or ... put the unlit in the chimney and light it, if not already lit? Or buy a second chimney and light it at the same time as the other?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
The extra coals in the SnS were from a previous cook. Shook off the ash, lit the chimney (full of unlit charcoal) and put it over top. I let the chimney go until flames are just starting to come out of the top (15 minutes or so) and in that amount of time the coals underneath are completely lit. Just saves a step of dumping them into a second chimney (which I have) and lighting it. Plus they help get the last stragglers at the very top of the chimney going when dumped. All about ease of operation.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:01:03 PM by theduke »

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
Much easier to grab the lower grate, shake off the ash and turn the sweep a few times than to dump out the leftover coals, light a second chimney etc...just a little trick that saves maybe 5 minutes max but enough nerve endings that it's totally worth it ;)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:27:03 AM by theduke »

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »
That looks great! I always thought the kettle pizza looked like a waste of money, until I saw your set up. I may have to try and get one on a clearance sale. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 06:13:06 AM »
I agree with @theduke. The SNS works great with the KP.

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
That looks great! I always thought the kettle pizza looked like a waste of money, until I saw your set up. I may have to try and get one on a clearance sale. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man! It's definitely the most consistent setup I've tried yet. I think I paid $49 for mine on clearance a cpl years ago.
 I recently started turning the stone so the SnS is on the left hand side. Saw someone here do that awhile back and it definitely is much easier to see how the pizza is cooking.
Got some great leoparding on this last cook.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:01:38 AM by theduke »

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »

I agree with @theduke. The SNS works great with the KP.

I think I might try to use a modified charcoal basket if I can get it to sit back against the bowl a little further. The holes on the side under the stone might radiate enough heat to get longer consistent heat underneath

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
Supper is almost ready!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
Sorry wrong spot