Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SnS + KettlePizza = Pretty fantastic combo  (Read 5853 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: SnS + KettlePizza = Pretty fantastic combo
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
When you guys use the SnS for pizza, do you add coals under the stone/steel?  I did this recently without coals under and the bottom of the (otherwise wonderful looking) pizza was very light with no crustiness to speak of at all.

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
Can you measure the temperature of the stone? I’m guessing it should  be at least 400f before you put the pizza on to cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »
When you guys use the SnS for pizza, do you add coals under the stone/steel?  I did this recently without coals under and the bottom of the (otherwise wonderful looking) pizza was very light with no crustiness to speak of at all.

Not sure If i was clear enough in my original post but I scatter 20 or so coals under the stone right at the beginning to get it to temp. It'll hold around 500 for 45 minutes to an hour with peaks toward the back of 650-700. The game you have to play is getting it hot but not so much so that it burns. If those coals burn out before you get the fire up top really raging you end up with a mismatch top top bottom. This method is definitely not without it's drawbacks but has worked pretty well for me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:30:53 AM by theduke »

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »
Can you measure the temperature of the stone? I’m guessing it should  be at least 400f before you put the pizza on to cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

The pic showing 600 in my initial post is from the back of the stone closest to the fire. At that point it was anywhere from 500 toward the opening to that 600 in the back. That was right before i started the cook. This is the end result.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »
Thank you, Sir!  My instincts told me to put coals under the stone but I thought I'd give it a shot.  I actually liked the SnS for this application, I was just missing the crispy crust. 

I'll give it a shot again this weekend.

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »
Great set up, thx for sharing, might give this a try tonight (without pizza ring, just the home made slow n sear and lid a bit off). I am more confortable with using wood with the slow n sear to avoid damaging the kettle

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 06:51:30 AM »
If you think your stone is too hot, just add a few more wood chunks in the back so your dome temp is even hotter.  The key is having the dome temp 150-200 degrees hotter than the stone so the top cooks before the bottom burns.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!