Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling, but no thermometers allowed!!  (Read 2007 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Grilling, but no thermometers allowed!!
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
Can any of you webheads out there relate to me where they prefer to grill/smoke without using any thermometers if any kind? None to measure grate temp nor measure doneness? Just all by feel and the grilling "sixth sense."

Maybe I am just too cheap to buy a thermometer? (I am) but I get an extra sense of accomplishment when I grill/smoke something to the perfect doneness without using anything to measure temp.

I've basically learned to gauge the cooking temp pretty accurately by controlling the amount of lump I use, opening the air vents, and proximity to the heat source.

Surprisingly, it is rare that I error on something and when I do, it is only slightly.

I can't be the only one? Or maybe I'm just being too stubborn by not purchasing a thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Grilling, but no thermometers allowed!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
You know where I stand on this @schaefd2 .  I'd rather probe to know I'm not serving something undercooked to the wife, kids, or any guests. Sometimes it really helps to know the grate temp or meat temp. Especially when you do your first reverse sear steak. Way better than sear and slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »
I also know you're way more of a control freak than I am. [emoji851]
TBH, I've never served anything undercooked, as I err slightly over.
I wouldn't mind a thermometer built in to the lid, but I don't have one and I don't like the look of one slid through the vents.

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
I'm in the middle. I use an instant read and I do like lid thermometers.  Thats all I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
Just need it for smoking.  Can get away without for high temp cooking.

JV

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »
A good instant read will change your life. My favorite inexpensive one is a Lava tools javelin. Had mine for a year and works perfect. $25 can't beat it.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:41:27 PM »
I’m spoiled. I love my thermapen! I like to be in complete control of my food.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 03:43:06 AM »

I’m spoiled. I love my thermapen! I like to be in complete control of my food.

I haven't owned a thermapen and by all accounts it is THE instant read to own. Judging by troys videos, it looks like it's a second or two faster than mine which would be very nice.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:22:18 AM »
Back in the days of design and testing, I recorded A LOT of times, temps, and data.  And really.. in the end it didn't really matter from the user standpoint.  Maybe on a WSM i'll glance at the lid to keep it 200-250.  But over hours and hours, it doesn't matter.  Doing a roast on a kettle indirect, it'll be plenty hot, just close it and let it roll.  In an hour or so you'll be done with that 3 pounder.  <----generalizations.  I never temp burgers, dogs, sausage, most chicken pieces, small cuts.

So these days I just wait until I think it should be about done and I probe it with an instant read Taylor ($15).  Close?  Ok.  I can start the sides on the stove, set the table.  Maybe i'll probe a shoulder or a long cook once or twice earlier.

As pointed out by others, I just don't want to serve undercooked food is all.  But really, the constant collection and monitoring and adjusting of temps are relatively meaningless IMO.  It's data, it may be accurate data -but it's just data. 
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »
Steak is my favorite use of the instant read. It's fantastic to be able to serve  steak exactly how everyone likes it. Lucky for me my whole family likes medium/medium rare.

Really any unforgiving meat. Pork loin, chicken breast or anything it's critical NOT to over cook.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:50:02 AM by HoosierKettle »

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 05:55:32 AM »
I like the nexus between traditional and new. I use a Thermoworks Smoke and Javelin Pro Duo instant read in conjunction. Getting over a recent bout of food poisoning, I don't trust my sixth sense enough. Plus, a 5 degree difference in poultry can mean underdone or overdone.

FYI: Thermoworks should be coming out with an instant read/IR combo unit sometime this Fall 2017 (as per their product brochure).

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
I would guess over time you simply know about how much charcoal / where you set the vents / cook times / knowing what to look for as you skills and expertise grows. It all comes with experience. I still use a thermometer to monitor grill temps and some meat temps.. as I still have work to do on consistent grill temps and setting desired grill temps so I am a ways off from 'winging it' with certain cooks.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
The other aspect of thermometers is that some people enjoy tracking and monitoring their cook whether they need to or not. Just all part of the BBQ fun that we enjoy in various ways.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
I'm on the safe side. My Thermapen is my God. After taking the ServSafe course, it is always with me. No room for error when serving food to the public...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »

I can't be the only one? Or maybe I'm just being too stubborn by not purchasing a thermometer?

Yeah, I'm betting on #2 . . .   :{)

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna