Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: True Grey OTP - Rockin K Code  (Read 2610 times)

Cellar2ful

True Grey OTP - Rockin K Code
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »

Yesterday I was at the Oakland Zoo most of the day with friends. While there, I receive a text from @SacramentoWeber with a link to a listing for a free curb alert Weber.  I open it and see what looks like a true grey OTP. Knowing I will be at the zoo for at least a couple of more hours, I grind my teeth and accept the fact it will be gone by the time I can make any attempt to pick it up.

Three hours later, I get home and look up the address for the kettle.  I reach out to the listing person, asking if the kettle is still available. She responds it is, but has just left her house and it is out at the curb.  With her address being 21 miles (38 minutes) away from me and a bridge toll, I make the decision to wait until she returns home in an hour and a half, to verify it is still available.  By this time my phone is buzzing off the hook with texts from other WKC members, advising me of this kettle.  Apparently I was the closest member to the "sellers" address. After a long hour and half wait, she texts me and says the kettle is still at the curb.  I respond, telling her I am on my way to pick it up and could she drag it away from the curb so I don't make the drive needlessly. I offer to pay her $10 if she holds it for me.  She responds no problem. 

As I follow my Waze app and get closer to the address, I see a noticeable change in the type of homes.  I soon find myself in a neighborhood of larger estate homes.  Pulling up in front of the address, I find the kettle in the driveway next to pile of what appears to be junk going to the garbage.  Finding no body home, I text the seller, advising her I am at the residence.  She tells me to go ahead and take the kettle and not worry about the $10.

When I get home, I Zillowed the address and the surrounding homes.  The homes ranged in price from $3 million to $5.5 million.  That would explain why a kettle can sit at the curb for over 5 hours and wasn't touched. 

I am a firm believer in kettle karma and if things are meant to be, they will be.  I think the fact it was a Friday at the height of commute traffic in the Bay Area might have helped me out also.  Had it been a Saturday or Sunday, I might not have been as fortunate with the kettle still being available after 5 hours at the curb.

Oh, by the way, we had a great time at the zoo.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:57:02 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
Re: True Grey OTP - Rockin K Code
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
That's great it was still there. Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »
Beauty find. If you had not come along that would be toast......5 hours at the curb is about right man as it is so beat to crap. You, me and about a hundred people would have that. It is not Kettle Karma or divine intervention but rather you coming along and taking it. Even in a neighborhood not so well-to-do could a beloved Kettle bbq sit in the trash and get scraped.....reason being? Only so many nutters like us....just like folks who collect multiple dish washers and keep them NIB.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
Cool color, congrats.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
Grate score. Congrats!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
Awesome score could not be in a better home @Cellar2ful way to go Jim
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
Beauty Jim...would love to find one someday...Shes gonna clean up nice and FREE for the win, AWESOME.     8)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
Nice!  Congrats on the gray.  For some reason I feel that new handles make gray kettles pop more than any other color.  Can't wait to see it restored!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
Awesome! I have the twin of this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
Very nice,love the color!!

wreck | fish

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »
Beautiful.  I saw that on CL .  What model is that?  Its like an MT without the ash catcher and ring.
1991 SSP (Blue)  |  1995 Performer (Black)  |  Bar B Kettle (Black)  |  18.5 WSM

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
I love that color, nice find.
May The Smoke Be With You!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
Great score! I have always loved that color. Will look great in Gen1 MT or Gen1 or 2 Performer frame.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Grate score! Lucky it was still there

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Cellar2ful

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
@kettlebb -  Is it just me or does it seem there are more examples of backward, crooked and lazy K's than any other stamped letter. 

@wreck | fish - It is a One Touch Plus, the precursor to the MT.  The OTP was made from 1988 to 1992. 

Here is a thread regarding the history of both:  http://weberkettleclub.com/history/the-weber-master-touch-history/

@crowderjd - Gotta love the lichen on the lid handles. Reminds me of your 78 Chief

"Chasing Classic Kettles"