Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!  (Read 4803 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »

Congrats! Can't go wrong with 3-2-1 ribs.

Might want to consider getting a good 2 probe thermometer, like a Thermoworks Smoke, for future cooks (2 probes...1 for meat temp/1 for grate temp).
Can you recommend a quality budget friendly thermometer?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

In all the testing and cooking and recipe creation I did with Weber... All I use these days is a stock Weber lid thermometer and a $5 Taylor instant read.

I have actually found my Weber lid thermometer usually reads a little cooler than the grate temp.

The advantage to something like a Thermoworks Smoke is that you can have quick, continuous updates and not have to watch the cooker like a hawk. For longer cooks, it allows me to be in 2 places at once; both cooking and wrangling little kids. For me, it's invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Yes it does read a little cooler and the Weber is basically +/- 10%.  "So what?"  I don't mean that rudely or sarcastically.  It's just information.  For long cooks, it really doesn't matter all that much.  For short cooks, anywhere from 10 minutes (a steak or burger) into an hour or two it's more important. 

I am not disputing technique and certainly I know with kids/lifestyle etc all plays a part.  But to the OPs question, there is a balance to what is a requirement/necessity or a wish list item.

At times there is information overload or a bit of overwhelming discouragement thinking what is on hand or affordable is inadequate.

YMMV

The OP expressed his frustration previously with BBQ attempts.

I wasn't saying..."you have to get this or that and there is no other way."

All I was getting at was the frustration level can be cut down drastically with a little bit of extra knowledge (via a 2 temp probe). If you have cooked 10,000 packer briskets on the same rig...with the same setup...you can probably nail it no problem with a pen thermometer after X number of hours.

However, if you haven't done one or very few and you're worried about screwing it up, take some of the stress out of it.

I've used a nice thermometer, cheap ones, and for certain things no thermometer at all.

I will say I would have turned a few packers to leather without the Smoke because they either cooked faster or way slower than I was expecting or the fire spiked unexpectedly. It's given me knowledge to hone my process which greatly makes my BBQ/smoking days much more enjoyable, from start to finish.

Cheers!

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Awesome job .... nice color on the ribs.

Now time to experiment on different sauces to tempt your pallet!  Keep on SMOKING!
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »
Looks good from here dude.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 07:39:08 PM »
And so it begins.  Nice looking Ribs.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
So we have some friends coming over this Sunday and I'd like to smoke something. I was thinking about some pork loin,  would it be the same process as the ribs? Or should I get a weber rib rack and do a few racks of ribs since I know how to do those now? I don't want to screw this dinner up.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Personally when guests come over I'll cook something I can reproduce with great results. When it's just the wife and I I'll try new things and always have a plan B ready for epic failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
I'm with @kettlebb on this one. Go with what you know and what you can reproduce: the ribs. A rib rack would help on a 22" to get a few racks on there. You could cut them or curl/skewer them which is what some WSM guys do.

Little pork tenderloins would be super easy to marinade and grill (maybe hold off on the larger loin section for another time?).

I may try a different method of cooking something for guests, but I seldom cook something I have never done before when I have more than my immediate family at table.

For example, I have done fried chicken inside and would totally do it on the grill in cast iron (even though I have never tried it).

But I have never really cooked octopus (inside or out) so I probably wouldn't do it on a grill without a trial run to work out any kinks.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
Great job!  I wish my 1st rib cook had gone that well. 

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
Thanks guys I'll just grab a few racks of ribs and look up some loin recipes for another time.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
Personally when guests come over I'll cook something I can reproduce with great results. When it's just the wife and I I'll try new things and always have a plan B ready for epic failure.

I am with @kettlebb ..... Best to try new recipes when it is family....then go to tried and true recipes when guests are coming over....at least until you are comfortable enough with your grill skills to test out new recipes on guests.

Btw...I just tried out Pepper Stout Beef (with a few changes), because of recommendations on this site and it is da bomb.  Highly recommended.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »

I am with @kettlebb ..... Best to try new recipes when it is family....then go to tried and true recipes when guests are coming over....at least until you are comfortable enough with your grill skills to test out new recipes on guests.

Btw...I just tried out Pepper Stout Beef (with a few changes), because of recommendations on this site and it is da bomb.  Highly recommended.

Link to recipe/directions?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

I used red and yellow peppers, not green (My family doesn't care for green peppers)....1 jalapeno, not 3 and zero jalapeno seeds (kids do not like things too spicy) ....I used yellow onion, not red (I don't like cooking with red onions)....also, used one chunk of wood on the fire to add a little smoke flavor....use light wood, not hickory or mesquite, if you decide to add smoke.  Meal was a huge hit with every one.

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:44 AM »
Now this is the type of smoking I find very addictive as well!
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:22 AM »

Absolutely

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

I used red and yellow peppers, not green (My family doesn't care for green peppers)....1 jalapeno, not 3 and zero jalapeno seeds (kids do not like things too spicy) ....I used yellow onion, not red (I don't like cooking with red onions)....also, used one chunk of wood on the fire to add a little smoke flavor....use light wood, not hickory or mesquite, if you decide to add smoke.  Meal was a huge hit with every one.

Thank you, another one I'm adding to the list!