Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!  (Read 4826 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Thanks to the help here I attempted to smoke some ribs today and they turned our to be the best ribs over ever had!!!

First I peeled the membrane then used the famous Dave's rib rub and set them in the fridge. I put together my fuse with Weber briquettes and some apple wood for smoke. Temps started around 260 then I tapped the bottom vent open a hair more and got it to 300, I'm only using the lid thermometer as that's all i have. I smoked them uncovered for 3 hours, wrapped in foil for 2 hours then uncovered for 1 hour. The last 10 minutes I put a bbq sauce glaze on then pulled off and rested 15 minutes.

These things were fall off the bone juicy goodness!! I'm already craving my next bbq and thinking about trying a butt or shoulder next time.

I took a few pics alone the way, not the best as they don't do the ribs justice...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Great job! And beautiful blue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Congrats! Go get a pork butt and a few more grills. It's all addictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
Good work!  Backyard ribs are tough to beat.....and that is a fine grilling machine you have there.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
Congrats! Can't go wrong with 3-2-1 ribs.

Might want to consider getting a good 2 probe thermometer, like a Thermoworks Smoke, for future cooks (2 probes...1 for meat temp/1 for grate temp).

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »
Great job! Those ribs look really good for a first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:20 AM »

Might want to consider getting a good 2 probe thermometer, like a Thermoworks Smoke, for future cooks (2 probes...1 for meat temp/1 for grate temp).
Can you recommend a quality budget friendly thermometer?

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 04:27:04 AM »
Great job! Those ribs look really good for a first time.

Honestly the best ribs I've ever had!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 04:32:12 AM »
Grate first rib cook beautiful grill too
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 05:30:51 AM »

Look into the Maverick ET-732 model, they are being sold real cheap because they're several generations old. Simple and easy to use.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »

There are several ways to go.

Maverick 732 is pretty popular. There are also some highly rated options on Amazon for about $40-$50.

I can personally vouch for the Thermoworks Smoke. You just missed their Smoke "Open Box" sale by a week, where they had new units on sale for $76.

Honestly though, at $100 retail it's still a great value.

Or put another way, there aren't many pieces of BBQ/grill gear I would pay full price for if I had to replace them, but the Smoke would be one of them.

At the end of the day, a great thermometer will be a game changer for your BBQ....especially if you want to tackle a brisket.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »

In all the testing and cooking and recipe creation I did with Weber... All I use these days is a stock Weber lid thermometer and a $5 Taylor instant read.

Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »

In all the testing and cooking and recipe creation I did with Weber... All I use these days is a stock Weber lid thermometer and a $5 Taylor instant read.

I have actually found my Weber lid thermometer usually reads a little cooler than the grate temp.

The advantage to something like a Thermoworks Smoke is that you can have quick, continuous updates and not have to watch the cooker like a hawk. For longer cooks, it allows me to be in 2 places at once; both cooking and wrangling little kids. For me, it's invaluable.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »

I have actually found my Weber lid thermometer usually reads a little cooler than the grate temp.

The advantage to something like a Thermoworks Smoke is that you can have quick, continuous updates and not have to watch the cooker like a hawk. For longer cooks, it allows me to be in 2 places at once; both cooking and wrangling little kids. For me, it's invaluable.

Yes it does read a little cooler and the Weber is basically +/- 10%.  "So what?"  I don't mean that rudely or sarcastically.  It's just information.  For long cooks, it really doesn't matter all that much.  For short cooks, anywhere from 10 minutes (a steak or burger) into an hour or two it's more important. 

I am not disputing technique and certainly I know with kids/lifestyle etc all plays a part.  But to the OPs question, there is a balance to what is a requirement/necessity or a wish list item.

At times there is information overload or a bit of overwhelming discouragement thinking what is on hand or affordable is inadequate.

YMMV