Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!  (Read 4824 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Re: First Smoke, I'm Hooked!!
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
So we have some friends coming over this Sunday and I'd like to smoke something. I was thinking about some pork loin,  would it be the same process as the ribs? Or should I get a weber rib rack and do a few racks of ribs since I know how to do those now? I don't want to screw this dinner up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Well plans changed and company is not coming over anymore tomorrow. I'm sitting here trying to decide what to smoke for dinner tomorrow? I'd like to do some pork again but something other than ribs.

What do you think I could try that's not to difficult, would a pork loin be a good one to try?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
if you have the time, then a butt would be a great thing to learn.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
I do have all day. How long does one of them take?

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
I was just reading how to do a butt from a random website off google. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet, I still don't have a thermometer probe to leave in the meat and I haven't done any dry runs to fully know where to have my vents. Anything a little easier I could try?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »
@Vette10R , sorry I missed this earlier.  If you haven't brined and cooked a whole chicken, aided with a little smoke yet, you should.  Brine the chicken for 3 hrs., using a simple brine.....2 cups diamond crystal kosher salt or 1.5 cups Mortons Kosher Salt, and 1 cup of brown sugar, per gallon of cool water.  Mix brine and dissolve salt/sugar.  Put brine and whole chicken in X-Large Ziploc Bag (10 Gallon size).  Put in cooler with ice.....or put in in the fridge.  If you are putting in the fridge, make sure the Ziploc is truly sealed.

After three hrs., pat it dry, oil up and season the bird.  cook indirect on your grill......use 1 chunk of wood, or a couple handfuls of wood chips on top of your charcoal  When the leg is really loose & juice runs clear, the bird is ready....it will take about 1:15 minutes for a whole chicken, give or take, depending on the size of the bird....or you can go by temp if you have a good thermometer. 

Easy peasy, and you will love the flavor.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
@Vette10R , sorry I missed this earlier.  If you haven't brined and cooked a whole chicken, aided with a little smoke yet, you should.  Brine the chicken for 3 hrs., using a simple brine.....2 cups diamond crystal kosher salt or 1.5 cups Mortons Kosher Salt, and 1 cup of brown sugar, per gallon of cool water.  Mix brine and dissolve salt/sugar.  Put brine and whole chicken in X-Large Ziploc Bag (10 Gallon size).  Put in cooler with ice.....or put in in the fridge.  If you are putting in the fridge, make sure the Ziploc is truly sealed.

After three hrs., pat it dry, oil up and season the bird.  cook indirect on your grill......use 1 chunk of wood, or a couple handfuls of wood chips on top of your charcoal  When the leg is really loose & juice runs clear, the bird is ready....it will take about 1:15 minutes for a whole chicken, give or take, depending on the size of the bird....or you can go by temp if you have a good thermometer. 

Easy peasy, and you will love the flavor.
Awesome thanks for the recipe, I grabbed some chicken breast for tonight I'm going to grill quick then picked up a 1 pound pork tenderloin, I figured that would be easy enough. Not sure how I'll season it yet.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
Use pantry pork chop marinade recipe from Weber.com site.  It works well on tenderloin.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2017, 05:06:25 PM »
Thanks I'll check it out! Got the breast's cooking on indirect at the moment. Waiting for the 150° mark then I'll pull em. I put a mustard glaze on before adding the chicken rub, I've never used this rub but it smells good!

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
Chicken turned out phenomenal!! Super easy to make, even threw a small apple wood chunk on while it was sitting on the indirect side. Yum!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »
Man, that all looks great. Did you bread the chicken breasts some, or is that just seasoning? Chicken breasts were something I was always afraid to do when starting out, because I just left them on too long. And then I went through a period of taking them off too early. Sometimes I use a thermometer, sometimes not, but after a while you can better gauge by feel.

Anyway, you're quite ready for that pork tenderloin. They are easy and pretty quick to cook. No all-day thing at all, just like 30-40 mins or so for a small one? I've participated in a few cooks where we stuffed 'em with some sort of sausage first. Those do take longer.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
Man, that all looks great. Did you bread the chicken breasts some, or is that just seasoning? Chicken breasts were something I was always afraid to do when starting out, because I just left them on too long. And then I went through a period of taking them off too early. Sometimes I use a thermometer, sometimes not, but after a while you can better gauge by feel.

Anyway, you're quite ready for that pork tenderloin. They are easy and pretty quick to cook. No all-day thing at all, just like 30-40 mins or so for a small one? I've participated in a few cooks where we stuffed 'em with some sort of sausage first. Those do take longer.
That's all seasoning on the chicken, a light layer of mustard for the rub to stick then loaded both sides with a good amount of seasoning. I seared them for 3 minutes on each side then moved to indirect with a small apple wood chunk. Lid thermometer was around 375 the entire time, I pulled them when my meat probe said 150° in the thicker section then covered them in foil for about 10 minutes. They were fully cooked and juicy!!

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »

As far as the tenderloin I got two of them at 24oz each. What temp should I set the grill and how long would you do?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »
... I pulled them when my meat probe said 150° in the thicker section then covered them in foil for about 10 minutes. They were fully cooked and juicy!!

Never thought to do that before with chicken, but it makes sense to me!

... As far as the tenderloin I got two of them at 24oz each. What temp should I set the grill and how long would you do?

I really don't know. I' do nearly everything these days with one chimney's worth of briquets spread into the 2 charcoal baskets and then cook indirect for awhile. Should be ready in less than an hour, but probe with a thermometer so you dob't over do it.

Short version: Google pork tenderloin recipes (oven recipes are fine, you're using an oven after all ...) and see what they say about temps and time. Should be more forgiving than chicken breast, so don't stress on it. Take notes for next time etc.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
I'll see what I find online, I did want to do a low and slow but should get started soon if it's going to take 5 hours like ribs...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »
Funny, but I never considered doing pork tenderloin low and slow, but again, I probably should.