Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hung Ribs in the 22 WSM  (Read 2280 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Hung Ribs in the 22 WSM
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
First cook on the WSM I figured I'd try hanging some baby backs. Well I think I started off wrong, using too much lit charcoal. So I was cooking between 325 and 350 the whole time. I didn't use any water pan and just hung them right over the coals. All that being said, the Ribs were done in a little less than 3 hours and they actually turned out really good. The flavor was excellent. I'll cook a little slower next time, but I was very happy with the results. Will definitely continue to hang them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Hung Ribs in the 22 WSM
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »
Those look great. I’ve heard good things about hanging ribs.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:43:49 AM »
waterpan is verboten
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »
waterpan is verboten

Agreed, no water pan or no flavor.

That said, Pit Barrel's run about 300 to 325 so I don't think you did anything wrong here.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:38:33 AM »
Water pan will catch the ribs when they inevitably fall off the hooks. After the first time it happened to me I switched to using the pan always. Also not having the pan in almost guarantees runaway temps....all that air rushing in then the lid comes off.....plus it's mere presence stabilizes temps I figure.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 04:45:37 AM »
Wouldn't ribs in a rack on the top grate and no water pan be the same as hanging?