Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: practice  (Read 1785 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
practice
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »

picked up a bird and some kickin chicken to stick in the roti tomorrow for dinner. my first REAL spin. kind of a practice run for thanksgiving. I don't want a 10+ plus pound bird to be my fist try lol

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Re: practice
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
My kids ADORE that Kickin Chicken. I bought it in the huge container at Sam's quite a while back and it looked to be about a lifetime supply but I'm nearly out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Good luck, but the rotisserie is pretty fool proof. Kicken chicken is great

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »

10 more mins

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
done

my carving skills...... if it wasn't dead before, it is now

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »
skin wasn't crispy at all. cooked at about 350ish for an hour and a half. super juicy and hella yummy. I used olive oil on the skin before the seasoning. any tips for crispy skin?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »

skin wasn't crispy at all. cooked at about 350ish for an hour and a half. super juicy and hella yummy. I used olive oil on the skin before the seasoning. any tips for crispy skin?
Cut slits along both sides of the back bone to allow fat to render out.   Dry rub a small amount of baking powder into the skin. 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »
I don't use water in the pan, I figured a dry environment is better for crispy skin, I am usually up around 400 for temp, last few minutes, go direct with the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
practice
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 05:39:41 AM »
I've only done a couple and skin is crispy but I bank most of a lit chimney and cook much higher temp.  Cooking whole chickens is not my favorite use of the rotisserie, unlike most people. I like to cook garlic sirloin, whole pork loin, and boneless pork butt. I know most will think I'm crazy but I like my beer can chicken better than my roti chicken and it's less effort.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:41:24 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »
I don't have a roti so I spatchcock my birds. Higher temp and no water in the cooker. Skin is always crispy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
I've only done a couple and skin is crispy but I bank most of a lit chimney and cook much higher temp.  Cooking whole chickens is not my favorite use of the rotisserie, unlike most people. I like to cook garlic sirloin, whole pork loin, and boneless pork butt. I know most will think I'm crazy but I like my beer can chicken better than my roti chicken and it's less effort.

yea this was just a test for thanksgiving just to feel out the set up. next will be a half pork loin roast.

so so take 2 will have a higher temp and no water in the pan.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
practice
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »
Actually I'd go no water pan and close to the temp you were at on this one for pork loin.  The last pork loin I did was really good. I prefer to take internal to 150-155 versus 145. 145 is a little in the pink side for me personally.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
That is one beautiful bird and a grill to boot!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.