Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using parchment paper for pizza  (Read 7207 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Using parchment paper for pizza
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
I was trying out the use of parchment paper with the kettle pizza tonight and I have to say that it makes the transfer of pizzas between surfaces orders of magnitude easier. I actually made a couple with and without the parchment paper tonight and I must say that I don't think that I will ever go back to not using parchment paper.

What has been your experience?

Here are a few pics from the cook:

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Using parchment paper for pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »
i use a wooden peel to build the pizza, lubed with a dusting of semolina flour. It's super fine and prevents the dough from sticking, but it doesn't burn and taste all shitty like corn meal does.

There are lots of different techniques that work though!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:18:44 PM by Troy »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
If your not using parchment your struggling.  I would never make pizza without it.  It's the best.   Not sure why you would ever fool around without parchment.....Only unless your trying to prove something....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:59:18 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
i use a wooden peel to build the pizza, lubed with a dusting of semolina flour. It's super fine and prevents the dough from sticking, but it doesn't burn and taste all shitty like corn meal does.

No need, or time, for parchment paper when we're doing pizzas.
Does the pizza slide better off of a wooden peel than an aluminum peel?
I bought my kettle pizza off of CL and it came with the aluminum peel, but if it makes a big difference then I would consider buying one.

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:17:24 AM »

If your not using parchment your struggling.  I would never make pizza without it.  It's the best.   Not sure why you would ever fool around without parchment.....Only unless your trying to prove something....

I’ve had a kettle pizza since they were first on the market. Been making grate pizzas for years and never even thought about parchment paper. I worked in a pizzaeria during college where I learned how to handle a wood fired oven so maybe my experience has helped but I couldn’t imagine trying to transfer a pizza to a 1000 degree oven/stone using parchment paper?  Maybe try semolina?  To each their own.
Happy Cooking!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
How come you couldn't imagine it?  It slides of like nothing?  Easiest time in the world.....I can't imagine not using it....I don't need anything else?  What will simolima do for me that parchment won't?

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
I can’t imagine it because I’ve never seen anyone do it. Ever.
Do you leave it on the paper while it cooks?  Do you have to slide it off the paper?  Not sure

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
Using parchment paper for pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:38:03 AM »
So you stretch the dough then put it on the paper which is already on the peel then sauce it?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:52:44 AM by KettleSmoke »

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
i have found that parchment paper makes cooking pizzas much easier. i use the metal peel and it was very difficult to slide the uncooked pizza off the peel and on to the stone. slides right off the peel with the paper. maybe adds a minute or 2 on to the process.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
i use a rolling pan to form the dough and then pick up the dough and put it on the paper. then i cut the excess paper.

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:14:31 AM »
So you leave the pizza on the paper the whole time it cooks?

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
yup. sometimes it burns off while rotating it but at that point the crust has cooked where it slides easily on and off the peel

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
Interesting. I’ll have to try it

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
So you stretch the dough then put it on the paper which is already on the peel then sauce it?

I usually stretch out individual pizzas for everyone that I make pizzas for. I put those on parchment paper on sheet trays. People then put whatever toppings they like on theirs. I then take the sheet trays, pop the pizzas on the peel, one at a time, and slide them on the stone. The parchment paper goes on the stone and when it is time to take the pizza out, the parchment just comes out with the pizza and goes in the trash. I also cut the parchment in circles that are slightly smaller than my pizza is going to be, which makes it much easier to handle once on the stone.
If your method works for you then that's great. I actually would love to not have to cut parchment, but nothing else has worked well for me so far, and I would love to learn if there is a trick that I am not aware of.

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
That actually sounds like a good idea - I like it that you let your guests make their own pizza!!!
I’m def gonna try it- we have friends and family over every Friday for pizza.

The only suggestion I would make is to maybe try adding more flour to your dough before you knead it? 
I use a cold fermentation mostly but also a fast rise. I’ll be happy to share!