Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using parchment paper for pizza  (Read 7164 times)

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
Re: Using parchment paper for pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
I use parchment paper and found when I pull the pie out to turn it around to cook evenly, when I slide it back in without the parchment paper it does not stick.  Once it cooks a for few minutes the paper is not needed.  I use a gas pizza maker but it should work the same on the kettle pizza stone, the stones are the same.  The paper does make it easier to get started.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
If your not using parchment your struggling.  I would never make pizza without it.  It's the best.   Not sure why you would ever fool around without parchment.....Only unless your trying to prove something....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I read this in an exaggerated Trump voice and it was hilarious.

I think it comes down to the dough and the technique.
I don't have any issues with the dough sticking to the peel unless I make mistakes in the prep.
Paper sounds like a pain in the ass. One more thing to dick with.
Nothing to prove, just using the same techniques that wood fired pizza ovens have been using for centuries.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
It's nothing to dick with it's a piece of paper!!  This is coming from a guy who mocked me when he saw my kettle pizza the first time and made fun of me for to years.  I would bet in a year Troy will be using parchment just like he's using the kettle pizza.  I'll take that snobbery with a block of salt...

Anyhow I do just like Bigssa.  I do it all in a baking sheet, then easily slide it on my peel or frankly I could do anything I want with it at that point.  I don't bother cutting it in a circle that's a waste of time.  I put it in the kettle pizza and after a few turns I slide the paper out and toss it.  I'm not smearing everything with flour and making a big ass mess with that shit.

I don't feel like any less of a man because I use parchment instead of dust.  It just makes my life clean and easy.... Just like my kettle pizza oven...

Oh and why are you using a kettle?  Have they been using kettles for centuries?  Come on into the future brother... It's awesome!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:09:30 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
I prefer parchment paper to any kind of powder. Usually I slide it out when I turn the pizza. Once the crust is slightly cooked it slides off with no sticking on the pull.  Not a pain in the ass and no dicking around. [emoji848]. Tried flour and cornmeal. Not for me.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
Lol

Ok man.  I'll try parchment paper and see if it improves anything

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
Parchment paper makes firing a pizza onto a stone or retrieving for the a spin foolproof.  I tend to pull the paper after the spin and relaunch.  One less thing to worry about if you are hosting a bunch of people.

I've replaced foil for rib wraps and steak tents with parchment paper as well.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »
I've replaced foil for rib wraps and steak tents with parchment paper as well.
Is that like a poor man's butcher paper?

GregCox

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
Here is a pizza I cooked yesterday afternoon just like every pizza I ever cook I use corn meal. It adds a nice finish to the crust also. If you doesn't slide like you want use a little more. Or like Troy said use semolina or I have even used flour. I have a wooden and aluminum peel. Wooden might slide off better but I use both.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »
I used parchment on my first pizza with success and I've been using it ever since. It makes everything slide around a lot easier. I do have a mess of parchment paper frisbee's floating around the back yard when I'm making a bunch of pies for friends and family though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:37:51 PM by bladz »

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 07:00:11 AM »
I guess it would work but... If you look on the package it says it is only oven safe to 420 degrees.  I'm with Troy using a wooden peel and semolina.

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Using parchment paper for pizza
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:39 AM »
Question is does "Oven Safe" mean the paper just begins deteriorating at 420* or does it cause harmful stuff to start being released at that temp.  I have no proof but I'd guess it just deteriorating at that temp but by that time the paper has done its job for the pizza and it's not needed anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:52:55 AM by foshizzle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:27 PM »
Maybe this is a dumb question, I think I will give the parchment paper a try next time, but do you flour or use cooking spray on the parchment or just put the doe directly on the paper?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
Before I switched to a wooden peel I had the same the issues with sticking to the metal. Drove me insane!
Since the switch, zero problems with that. If parchment paper works for you that's fine but it's completely unnecessary. Get the stone hot enough and your temps right, the pizza rotates with no sticking or issues whatsoever.
Wooden peel to fire it in, metal to rotate and retrieve.
Simple.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »
Maybe this is a dumb question, I think I will give the parchment paper a try next time, but do you flour or use cooking spray on the parchment or just put the doe directly on the paper?

No need to oil or flour the parchment paper at all. Just leave it on the parchment and it will separate completely once the bottom of the pizza starts baking.