Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?  (Read 5545 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Waiting for all the 10-12 regulars to state their opinion. So far it sounds like you guys aren't ready for this.

Those on WKC that have a fantastic mint kettle collection know you have a similar rating system. I'd like to hear how you decide on what kettles to acquire and add to your impressive collection.

I think any Collector strives to collect the best items they can find. Some choose to be secretive by only sharing those lesser condition kettles to the public. After all we don't need to tell everyone where we are storing away our prized possession.

I'm not trying to determine a particular price range for any kettle. I Just know some kettles are highly sought after even though some may not like that particular color or pattern. And even if it's a very rare color, the condition of that rare kettle will determine if you want to pursue in acquiring it or pass on it.

On another note, Factory Weber custom kettles were only produced in limited numbers so those should receive a solid 10 points. I just realized what now is considered to be a rare Westerner was a standard catalog ordered kettle so it should only get 9 points based on rarity.
Their were probably more Aristocrats produced than Westerners so that Red 26er will receive an 8 point gain, again based on rarity.

These ratings I've suggested are not set in stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:40:22 AM by Smokin Performer »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
Bam-Ba-Lam

ughhh, the subtle song bomb

Having trouble getting that one out of your head?

that song is one of those "stick around for a while" songs.
When this Epic Beard Man video went viral, the Amber Lamps meme was born, this video (and song) must have been in my head for a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDD9FmdmUN4

Like "Bad Ass"!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
a 'standardized' or at least accepted condition grading system could be a good thing - but it needs to be simple. It's been discussed a number of times over the last 5 years, but never really progressed.

Rarity and 'demand' should be ignored. Any data we have is too noisy to be reliable and the rest is an ever-changing-opinion.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »
Standardized... Agreed.
  What would you propose?

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
One method would be to have two measures/scales.   One would be for condition and completeness.   Here, all grills would be on equal footing and a nib black kettle right from HD would rate the same as a nib NOS Galley Que if both are complete and flawless.

Next would be a rarity scale or something of the like, similar to a degree of difficulty rating in some judged sports like diving.

Total score would be some formula of the two ratings.

As for how do collectors decide, most collectors that I know cull their collections.   If something pops up that they don't have, they get it, regardless of condition.   When a better one pops up, they get that one then decide if they want to keep both, or if the "lesser" will be moved along.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
There's a show called "What's my car worth" that has a two tier rating like that. A, B, C, D for rarity or collectability, and 1,2,3,4,5 for condition. You could have a flawless black 1998 MT in black, and it could be a C1. The same year in red could be a B1. A1s would be things like NOS Westerners and the like. An A2 could be a Custom with a few chips, but all original parts. So my red Performer might be a B1. @Jeff has a Blue 26er that is off the charts. A+1+! Trouble is, there is no way to equate the rating to value. It's only ever worth what someone is wiling to pay at the time it is for sale.

Still not sure who gets to make the call, and that's the impossible part. There will never be a review board that would assess any two kettles the same. Maybe we need our own show on TV.
Retired

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
UH, to much math.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
Here is a condition rating chart that I borrowed from a vintage toy collectible forum. I changed some of the wording to fit our needs.

It's straight forward and "only rates the better condition collectible kettles". It's simple and easy to use. These condition kettles are the ones everyone wants to add to their collection.

(M) MINT- brand new with original box and paperwork. Never been used. No damage to grill

(NM) Near MINT- appears brand new except upon close inspection. Has been cooked in once or twice. May or may not have original box.
(EX) Excellent- has minimal wear, very minor porcelain chips or rubs. A few light scratches. A grill that has been well cared for. Has been cooked in.
(VG) Very Good- defiantly cooked in. May have some Loss of color or fading. Noticeable problems with hardware or replaceable parts. Few porcelain  pops and some lid rash to edge.  Several scratches, some rust to leg sockets.
(G) Good- weathered or a completely weathered warrior. some lite rust, considerable wear and porcelain loss, crazing. may even have most of its original color and still appear new.  The leg sockets and all handles must still be factory attached. No signs of metal repair.  No re-attached leg sockets or metal handles. All original parts still intact. One or two small character dings/dents. Can be missing its original replaceable wooden or plastic handle. May Still be used daily to cook
(P) Poor- rusted off or broken off handles or leg sockets. May have metal repair/repairs. generally unacceptable except for a cooker

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:38:43 AM by Smokin Performer »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

I have not smoked enough pot to seriously consider this. The good sativa always helps with the obscure concepts man.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:04:55 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
Already too much energy is spent in hunting these kettles - now math followed by science . Oh gosh - I don't want to be in school again

Now where is that yellow ebay MBH headed is what I am interested to know

Looking for Colored 18 MBH

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 06:53:46 PM »
Nice start.  Would question going straight from good to poor, and/or nothing being after poor.      OK, fair,  piss poor, planter candidate, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
I've always rated kettles using a binary system.

"Do I want it?" Pick one answer: FnA / HellNo.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 12:24:36 AM »
   To hell with a kettle rating system. All that will do is push the CL prices higher and make this a collectors market. Lets keep this a likeable mom and pop market a little bit longer before the big monied collectors come barging in and "F ing" this up.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 02:46:29 AM »
   To hell with a kettle rating system. All that will do is push the CL prices higher and make this a collectors market. Lets keep this a likeable mom and pop market a little bit longer before the big monied collectors come barging in and "F ing" this up.

+1
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 05:14:40 AM »

+1

You think this currently isn't happening without a kettle rating score?
Their have been numerous posting on WKC in the past years about CL sellers that raised their prices based on finding WKC online. What one CL seller may refer to as "great condition" or "good condition" may really only be a "poor condition" kettle they are trying to sell.

One way to possibly eliminate those CL sellers from searching this website is to block any non-members out. ( but that has also been discussed and isn't going to happen)

The only thing left to do is to give everyone (including us) some kind of kettle condition rating scale. A guide that can easily help you determine if it's in GOOD condition or POOR condition. 
We need to be tough on rating a good condition kettle. Everything else should be price accordingly and that means the excellent, mint condition and even those poor condition kettles.