Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?  (Read 5537 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »
Here's the thing..... Not everyone will have the same standards/rating system no matter what. My "8/10" might be someone else's "5/10". People have different ideas about what is in "very good condition" vs  "okay condition" etc.... I use the "Looker, Cooker, or Cooker-Looker" rating system. Then I also have MY personal scale of 1-10. I'm also not above some chips or dings especially if its on a vintage rare colored Kettle. Having said that, I know there are a growing number of members here that WILL NOT ACCEPT chips of any kind or find a rougher one first then trade up to a nicer one.<< That used to be more prevalent in the early days of this hobby. Something I still do but it's all ones prerogative. I own kettles from NOS to beater patina. I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity Grillfella. Just my .02

A California 4 grill is an Omaha 9 grill. LOL.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
Here's the thing..... Not everyone will have the same standards/rating system no matter what. My "8/10" might be someone else's "5/10". People have different ideas about what is in "very good condition" vs  "okay condition" etc.... I use the "Looker, Cooker, or Cooker-Looker" rating system. Then I also have MY personal scale of 1-10. I'm also not above some chips or dings especially if its on a vintage rare colored Kettle. Having said that, I know there are a growing number of members here that WILL NOT ACCEPT chips of any kind or find a rougher one first then trade up to a nicer one.<< That used to be more prevalent in the early days of this hobby. Something I still do but it's all ones prerogative. I own kettles from NOS to beater patina. I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity Grillfella. Just my .02

Gumms got jokes!

Holy Grail: 1960s Glen Blue 22 aka The Imperial.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2017, 09:03:54 AM »
I have been lucky enough to acquire mostly nice condition kettles. Personally, I just go for what I want no matter what the condition. To Me, it is all about rescuing and enjoy using them knowing the history of these kettles.  We don't get much rare kettles here but anything interesting in any condition is ok by me.

I love seeing these cool kettles pop up ( latest example- MLH Glen blue for $5 score by one of the member). Not often for these kettles but we all see them come up for sale cheap or for free all the time.  In most all cases, any cool vintage kettles can be had for reasonable $. 

It is unrealistic to rate kettles and see no point in doing so, but when that day comes and greed sets in with really high asking prices.... I am out. 

Just remember, outside of us kettle heads.... no one is interested in these kettles no matter how special....until they find out they can charge lot more because we kettle head said so.  We can't stop this from happening but at same time no need to promote driving the prices up.

To me, anything with logo is out.... for some, they only collect logo kettle. I love Cado kettles, some of you hate avocado colors. There is no way to quantify and rate kettles.  Even if you can... why would you.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:34:00 AM by greenweb »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
   To hell with a kettle rating system. All that will do is push the CL prices higher and make this a collectors market. Lets keep this a likeable mom and pop market a little bit longer before the big monied collectors come barging in and "F ing" this up.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That's all this is is someones way to try to make more money, who cares, what rating an old BBQ has?  If you like it, buy it.  Profit isn't my main interest here so this bores me to death.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »
If this is the case on a scale of 1-100 mine are 40...combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »

Awwwwww
All the SWEET GRILLS are in california, right Craig?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2017, 02:16:48 AM »
Didn't the Beach Boys do a song about California Grills
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2017, 05:24:12 AM »
My ratings are:
cooker
looker
looker cooker

+1

This pretty much sums it up for me. Mine are all pretty much cookers.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Craig

• WKC Mod
Condition, Condition, Condition. Kettle rating?
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2017, 05:29:16 AM »

Awwwwww
All the SWEET GRILLS are in california, right Craig?

The Chicagoland Wood Dale's really make ME feel all right.

But yes, Troy only the "sweet grills" come from Cali......

I wish they all could be California...........GRIILLLLLLLLS!

Holy Grail: 1960s Glen Blue 22 aka The Imperial.