Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grillgrate  (Read 3119 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
grillgrate
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:22:03 AM »
anyone use grillgrate grates?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: grillgrate
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »
I do, I like them, esp for delicate foods.

Some like @Troy do not like them.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:48 AM »
I do, I like them, esp for delicate foods.

Some like @Troy do not like them.
searing wise would it be the same as the gbs cast iron insert?

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:10:21 AM »
This year i bought three(3) 13.75" Grill Grates for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill and I liked them so much I also made a subsequent purchase of some Custom Grill Grates for my little Weber Smokey Joe. 

What to like:  Controls flareups in which I can directly Grill over a hot charcoal-lit fire, easy cleanup, etc.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »
As boldtz said, i'm not a fan.

1. I think grill marks should be mahogany, not black. Grill Grates are great at making marks, but they always come out black.

2. The space between the marks doesn't get color.

3. Fats from the food don't make it to coals, which means significantly less fat-smoke blessing the food with flavor.

These grates do not solve any problem for me, I find them gimmicky and misguided.
That's just my opinion of course.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
They are the best thing ever to come along and improve the grilling experience IMO. I'll never ever without them.
I teach HS special ed kids and wrote a grant to be able to teach them vegetable and protein grilling skills. GrillGrates are an integral part. They help make grilling like a pro so easy, and are used by beginners and pros alike.
Surf and turf on my GrillGrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
I just don't understand what problem they are supposed to solve. I've never used them but it looks like they exist to put grill marks on food? For steak you don't want grill marks. You want a uniform brown crust to form when you sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »

1. I think grill marks should be mahogany, not black. Grill Grates are great at making marks, but they always come out black.

They can come out mahogany if you rotate sooner. It's all in the timing. I like mine darker to get the benefit of the caramelizing of the sugars aka Maillard effect.

3. Fats from the food don't make it to coals, which means significantly less fat-smoke blessing the food with flavor.

The fats do make it to the coals, and they also pop and sizzle right back up on the meat from the valleys of the grates. Big flavor.

These grates do not solve any problem for me, I find them gimmicky and misguided.

I felt somewhat like you did Troy when I first saw them. I've been using them now for probably 7+ years and I'm a believer. They may not be for everybody and that's ok.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »

They can come out mahogany if you rotate sooner. It's all in the timing. I like mine darker to get the benefit of the caramelizing of the sugars aka Maillard effect.

The fats do make it to the coals, and they also pop and sizzle right back up on the meat from the valleys of the grates. Big flavor.

I felt somewhat like you did Troy when I first saw them. I've been using them now for probably 7+ years and I'm a believer. They may not be for everybody and that's ok.

Like every tool, it's all about how they're put to use.
I was initially excited, even bought a set. Hated em, mostly for the hassle of shit sliding around in between my food and the actual cooking grate. Plus more things to store and configure with cook. Frustrating.
Flavor was the biggest one for me. Steaks and chops cooked on the grillgrates just didn't have the same smokey flavor as the ones cooked directly over hot coals. Still better than a gas grill... just not for me.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
I understand.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
I wouldn't reject that steak though

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »

I wouldn't reject that steak though

+1

It looks incredible.

I could see myself liking them but I hate having extra items to clean and store.

Direct grilling without flare ups is one of the things a weber kettle is best used for just as it comes. Half vent the bottom damper and you will have no flare ups. At least until you leave the lid off a couple a minute or 2. Plenty of time to flip.

I'm not knocking them at all, but just an initial thought looking at it and having not used it.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
I keep seeing comments about flare ups and I guess I must be doing something wrong or all my Webers are defective.   For the most part, I don't even bother with dampers/vents.  I run both upper and lower vents wide open.  If flames come up when I have the lid off, I just put the lid down and they go away.   Even with a grate full of nice fatty ribeyes. 

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
I'm with @Rub.  These things are great, if for no other reason than you will never lose another asparagus spear to the charcoal gods. 

I use the flat side almost as much, grilling taters and such, especially when I'm using the Vortex or the SnS.

For those of you that don't like them or don't see a need for them, that's cool. 

Opinions are like a_______s, we all have one and, as long as mine is working good for me and yours is working good for you, who am I to say anything ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »

I'm with @Rub.  These things are great, if for no other reason than you will never lose another asparagus spear to the charcoal gods. 

I use the flat side almost as much, grilling taters and such, especially when I'm using the Vortex or the SnS.

For those of you that don't like them or don't see a need for them, that's cool. 

Opinions are like a_______s, we all have one and, as long as mine is working good for me and yours is working good for you, who am I to say anything ! ! !

BD

For the record, place me in the undecided column. I don't have a good opinion since I have not used one. Also, i was thinking that I would really like the flat side for doing things like you mentioned.