Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Searing Vs Reverse Searing  (Read 4392 times)

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
Searing Vs Reverse Searing
« on: May 30, 2017, 03:27:25 AM »
As a new user to the world of weber (only used my Weber MT twice so far so every cook is a learning experience!), what are people's thoughts on reverse searing?!

For my first 2 cooks, I have seared the meat in the centre of my grill (over direct heat - charcoal all placed in the centre), and then moved it all to the outer circle of my grill, for indirect heat, until my temperature probes show that the food is ready. Its all come out fine but just would like to try a different method next time maybe....

So, would placing the meat (generally - chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, sausages and burgers), over indirect heat first (until it hits the required temperature), and then giving the meat a sear at the end, over the direct heat, work better?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Searing Vs Reverse Searing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:59:04 AM »
I think reverse searing is best for larger cuts of meat, but that's just my personal opinion. Large steaks and roast of sort. I've always done the sear and slide with chicken too, but lots of guys have been doing the "wing ring" with there chicken drums and thighs, and really seem to enjoy it with great results.
That's were you have your coals in the middle, like you stated you like to do, and just cook indirect, high heat for the duration.
I tried this yesterday for the first time (I had only done it with wings before) with drums and thighs and a chunk of fruit wood on top and got a great color and skin. Never had them over direct heat at any point. One grill I used the vortex and the other grill I just used baskets and they turned out equally good. Best thing to do is just expirement ( which sounds like you will) and find a way you like best. Then like all of us, you'll change your method down the road, then go back, then change again. Lol. Just part of learning and loving to grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:03:58 AM by Travis »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Searing Vs Reverse Searing
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:01:45 AM »
So, would placing the meat (generally - chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, sausages and burgers),
over indirect heat first (until it hits the required temperature), and then giving the meat a sear at the end, over the direct heat, work better?

Aside from steak, this is my preferred method for most meat, including pork chops.
For burgers, I tend to change it up every so often.
I say, whatever works for the individual.  However, I do like to try different methods.   :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:03:28 AM »
Reverse sear all the way. I love this method.
Basically you cook the meat bumper to bumper to the desired cook say medium rare of that's how you like it, indirectly. Then just sear it for about 30-60 seconds. This gives you more medium rare meat. If you sear it first, you get more well done meet on the out side of the meat.
Reverse sear also give you a juicy steak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:22:01 AM »
For me it depends on the protein. I don't bother searing chicken. Indirect cooking at 400 will give you juicy meat and crispy skin. Steaks, always reverse sear.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:06:09 AM »
I think reverse searing is best for larger cuts of meat, but that's just my personal opinion. Large steaks and roast of sort. I've always done the sear and slide with chicken too, but lots of guys have been doing the "wing ring" with there chicken drums and thighs, and really seem to enjoy it with great results.
That's were you have your coals in the middle, like you stated you like to do, and just cook indirect, high heat for the duration.
I tried this yesterday for the first time (I had only done it with wings before) with drums and thighs and a chunk of fruit wood on top and got a great color and skin. Never had them over direct heat at any point. One grill I used the vortex and the other grill I just used baskets and they turned out equally good. Best thing to do is just expirement ( which sounds like you will) and find a way you like best. Then like all of us, you'll change your method down the road, then go back, then change again. Lol. Just part of learning and loving to grill.

...yea, the "wing ring" is what I have been typically doing, but also searing the chicken before I put around the ring!

I think, next  time, I may experiment, with just doing the "wing ring", without any searing at all and just see how the colour of the chicken goes, from there...

Sooooo many different methods to try...!!!!!!!
 ;D

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »

...yea, the "wing ring" is what I have been typically doing, but also searing the chicken before I put around the ring!

I think, next  time, I may experiment, with just doing the "wing ring", without any searing at all and just see how the colour of the chicken goes, from there...

Sooooo many different methods to try...!!!!!!!
 ;D
I have indirectly cooked chicken until done without any sear. Came out great.
So just experiment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 05:29:46 PM »
I do both, depending on the result I'm looking for, the cut i'm using, and the amount of food in the cook.

Reverse searing, when done properly, produces a great cook with the least amount of 'gray zone'

I personally like the beefy-fat-smoke taste blessing my food for as long as possible, so I sear first when I'm cooking steaks.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:59 AM »
As a new user to the world of weber (only used my Weber MT twice so far so every cook is a learning experience!), what are people's thoughts on reverse searing?!

For my first 2 cooks, I have seared the meat in the centre of my grill (over direct heat - charcoal all placed in the centre), and then moved it all to the outer circle of my grill, for indirect heat, until my temperature probes show that the food is ready. Its all come out fine but just would like to try a different method next time maybe....

So, would placing the meat (generally - chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, sausages and burgers), over indirect heat first (until it hits the required temperature), and then giving the meat a sear at the end, over the direct heat, work better?

Took out the Weber again yesterday for a small family Father's Day BBQ, so thought I would try out the reverse searing technique.

Had about 12 small cuts of chicken (drumstick and thighs).

Placed all my briquettes  in my charcoal baskets, in the center of my grill and preheated it for about 12 minutes. The temperature inside the kettle was around 230C, which was about the same that we would have used, if we were cooking the chicken in a conventional oven, so though that was fine.

Placed the chicken around the outer ring of my Master Touch for indirect heat and had a thermometer probe in one of the bigger thigh pieces, which notified me once the chicken had reached the preset temp for chicken, of 175F.

Once temp had indeed hit the required level, I then cut one of the pieces open, to check that the juices ran clear (which they did) and then I seared the chicken for 1 minute on each side, over direct heat, with the lid closed, and that was it.

Eating the chicken later proved great tasting results although I did actually find that it tasted dryer, this time around than when I had previously seared it first over direct heat and then finished it over indirect heat.

But all in all  - a great day.
 :)

[Edited post to change 175C to 175F]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:31:47 AM by deans6571 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:16:53 AM »
If I'm reading this correctly you cooked your chicken to 175 degrees Celsius which is 347 Fahrenheit. If that's correct then it certainly would explain the dry poultry.  Try not letting the chicken go past 165 F or 73.9 C. Also no need to cut into the meat to check for doneness. The thermometer should tell you when it's done. This will keep all the juices inside.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:29:39 AM »
If I'm reading this correctly you cooked your chicken to 175 degrees Celsius which is 347 Fahrenheit. If that's correct then it certainly would explain the dry poultry.  Try not letting the chicken go past 165 F or 73.9 C. Also no need to cut into the meat to check for doneness. The thermometer should tell you when it's done. This will keep all the juices inside.

......I'm really sorry but just realized I've made a mistake in my post above!!!  :-[ :-[

It should be 175F and NOT 175C!!!!! 

The chicken preset on the thermometer goes to 175F but there are custom presets I can add, as well - are you saying 165F would be better.....

EDIT - Just come across this which confirms that 165F is indeed better than 175F:

https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:34:06 AM by deans6571 »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 04:41:27 AM »
...so would it be better to sear at the beginning then as I think, that searing at the end, would potentially dry the meat out even more??! Reason being that first I am using indirect heat to cook the chicken to 165F, and then searing the chicken over direct heat, which would then further increase the temp to over 165F, potentially drying it out!?

...whereas, searing at the beginning, I would sear it over direct heat for 1 minute on each side (which would raise the temp slightly) and then finish over indirect heat until I hit the 165F mark, with no dryness!

When I first tried this method (searing first) the chicken came out much more juicy!

...and - if I wanted to smoke the chicken with some flavoured wood, would I just place the small chunks of wood directly on top of the charcoal or place the wood on top of the centre section of my grill (chicken would be on the outer ring)?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:47:16 AM by deans6571 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 06:12:54 AM »
For a reverse sear you'd want to cook the chicken to 150 then get the coals hot with the lid off and vents wide open. Then cook the chicken direct to 165. I wouldn't do it with chicken personally. I always cook my chicken indirect with the grill temp around 400-425. I like crispy skin and juicy meat and I usually get those results. Steak is always a reverse sear cook for me.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:19 AM »
The only time I've ever had a need to reverse sear is for a very thick bone in steak like a tomahawk ribeye. Otherwise I just don't have enough time for it since I prefer my steaks pretty charred on the outside and rare in the middle. I Sear at super high heat for 2-3  min on each side and I'm ready to go.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 09:28:07 PM »
I saw an Alton Brown Good Eats show where he tested the sear methods. it seems that the steaks loss is just 2 grams different between methods.
So it is up to you, either way works about the same.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline