Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM handles  (Read 2716 times)

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
WSM handles
« on: May 16, 2017, 04:04:19 AM »
I had installed garage door handles on my WSM a few years ago, but the new cover I bought was too tight to fit over them easily. I replaced them with these handles, which look better, are easier to use, and fold flat to fit easily under the new cover.  If you are considering adding handles to let you pick up the center section, these are worth a look.

Reliable Hardware Company RH-0540BK-2-A
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:06:05 AM by Dsorgnzd »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM handles
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:41:21 AM »
Looks like a grate idea! Do the handles heat up at all? Post a pic or two of them in action, eh?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »
I'd be curious to see your install too.  Are they mounted horizontally or vertically?
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:20:06 AM »
Here is what the handle looks like mounted on the WSM.  I haven't cooked with it since installing the handles so I don't know how hot they may get, but (1) I mostly use the handles to lift the center section (with meat on the grates) to place it on the bottom after lighting the charcoal, so it's not hot at that point, and (2) in any case, these handles give me a lot more clearance between my hand and the body of the smoker than the old ones did (with the old ones I had to use pot holders to keep my knuckles from coming into contact with the smoker body).  Installation required drilling 4 holes per handle (fastened with stainless machine screws, 10-24 size) which was easy to do.  I put a washer on each screw on the outside, between the handle and the smoker, to move the handle out a bit since it is flat, while the body of the smoker is curved. This kept the center of the handle from pushing in on the smoker when the screws were tightened (which might have cracked the porcelain). On the inside I put a flat washer, then a lock washer, and finally a nut.

bgdummy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
I guess you could mount them vertically and when you are firing up smoker then swing them out away from the body. Might help with the heat.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:08:11 AM »
I guess you could mount them vertically and when you are firing up smoker then swing them out away from the body. Might help with the heat.
I don't think the heat will be an issue. If it is, a ball of foil wrapped around the side of the handle would hold it away from the body.

BTW, I lived in Roanoke for about 20 years... starting right before the big flood of '85. Are you a Texas Tavern fan?  :)

bgdummy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
Oh yea, I'm member of the Millionaires Club!!!!!!

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
I had installed garage door handles on my WSM a few years ago, but the new cover I bought was too tight to fit over them easily. I replaced them with these handles, which look better, are easier to use, and fold flat to fit easily under the new cover.  If you are considering adding handles to let you pick up the center section, these are worth a look.

Reliable Hardware Company RH-0540BK-2-A
I got these and work perfect. Cover goes on easier also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app