Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint  (Read 6952 times)

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
Quick and dirty: Yesterday my next door neighbor came over to voice his concern about the smoke from my bbq... i've been bummed out and wondering best course of action ever since. Advice desired on how I might deal with situation in general, and better control smoke during initial lighting of coal (I use chimney, kingsford briquettes and newspaper).

Background:
I've lived in my current home for 2 years now and have grilled on my Weber kettle from day 1, in the same spot in my back yard. Neighbor has lived next to me the entire time. Distance between my grill and the windows in his home ~100 feet. I use a starter chimney, with standard Kingsford briquettes and a bit of newspaper to get it started.

Yesterday was the first time I've actually talked to this particular neighbor. They are... reclusive to say the least. I've never had issue with them before yesterday.

Interaction with neighbor:
Neighbor came over just about the time the coals were all hot in the chimney and ready to be distributed in the kettle, to cook dinner. He was cordial during our chat, but started by asking me if I had been burning something in my backyard all day (I grilled pizzas for lunch earlier in the day).

I said no, but I am about to grill dinner. At this point he proclaimed that the smoke bother's his wife who has lung issues (totally receptive to this issue, and would like to appease if possible) and they had to close window. I was concerned, and asked if it had been an issue in the past as well, he said yes but they simply ignored it. At this point he requested I move my grill... which I could move farther back by say 25 feet, but it would still be in line with his house if the wind was blowing that way (which it generally goes to opposite direction).

So long story short, have anyone else had to deal with a neighbor complaint about smoke? Is there any insight on how I can cut down on smoke during initial starting up of the coals? I don't believe (although I forgot to ask) that it is a issue the entire cook, just that first 5-10 minutes. I'm annoyed but also want to be a decent neighbor and not develop any long term grudge between us... especially since we share a property line.

I certainly don't have plans to stop grilling... if anything I plan to increase my time outside around the kettle! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Re: Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
One suggestion would be to stop using newspaper. Try Weber cubes. They'll put off much less smoke than the newspaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »
@Thrillho , First off, Welcome to the club, now, try not using newspaper, maybe try starter cubes.. but even with the cubes, it'll still smoke but maybe less. Also, and a little less convenient for you, start your chimney in the front yard on a paver in the driveway or something.. then take to your grill if thats even at all possible for you with out having to go through the house. I'll try a couple test scenarios when I fire up tonight. I do know last night I was firing a chimney of Coshell on my gas assist performer and it was smoking like crazy...hope this gets resolved and keeps neighbors happy! good luck.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
That sucks. I'd suggest to start using lighter cubes and lump charcoal.
Lump isn't my preferred choice for cooks, but omits very little smoke.

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »
Thanks  mcgolden, varekai, and Travis.

I've been meaning to give lump coal a try anyway, so as good a reason as any. Will be picking up some lighter cubes as well, to see if they do the trick.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »
@Thrillho , you can buy a Looftlighter (or a knockoff) & use lump charcoal.  Light your charcoal in whatever location happens to work best with the draft on that particular day.  If you have a couple of firebricks, you can put your chimney on the firebricks just about anywhere outside to light the chimney....although, 100 feet is more than reasonable, imo. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
I have a small propane torch from Harbor Freight that I have used to light Kingsford.  My experience has been that not much smoke is produced. This,along with trying to light it in a location that reduces "drift" may work and be a reasonable compromise.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
I don't mean to be unsympathetic to her health condition...But if closing the window is all it takes to solve the problem...Then there is no problem...

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
Ask the guy what her favorite meal is, grill it up and invite them over, or take it to them.
Retired

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
+2 I don't mean to be unsympathetic to her health condition...But if closing the window is all it takes to solve the problem...Then there is no problem...
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
Ask the guy what her favorite meal is, grill it up and invite them over, or take it to them.

@Thrillho

Fantastic idea 56MPG.

I think as long as you keep the communication cordial and open, both parties can get along.

As far as charcoal, KBB seems to be the smokiest of all the other options. But I do love that smell.... Try the Weber briquettes. I had a chimney of both going side by side the other day and there was a noticeable difference in output of smoke.

Good luck man- 

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
Just curious, how many times / week do you grill roughly?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
I'd try Stubbs briquettes at Lowes before going the Lump route. Good idea to take them some grilled food and keep it as pleasant as possible but I also see the side of just close the damn window for 20 minutes. Also you could try to get a good sized fan and redirect the smoke. It would also help the chimney get going faster. And plus 3 on the Weber starter cubes. Welcome.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
If you've been able to keep your barbecue 100 feet away from the neighbours' house, I'd say you've actually been quite considerate of your neighbours.  Keeping a barbecue that distance from everyone's houses, given lot and back yard sizes in many urban areas, would be difficult, if not impossible in most cases.  That wouldn't be possible at any of my relatives' places where houses are spaced more closely together and yards are smaller.

Maple Leaf lump charcoal produces relatively little smoke when it lights up and works very well for cooking.  It's actually one of my favourite charcoals.  So, maybe it's worth thinking about buying a bag of that and giving it a try.

I agree with the other posters about if closing the window temporarily mitigates the problem for the 15-20 minutes during the charcoal startup, it isn't that serious of a problem to begin with.  It's not like the bass that penetrates everything here when the neighbour across the street and three houses down blasts his copy of the Elton John 60th Anniversary concert DVD at full volume at midnight and the shaking and rumbling continues no matter how many windows you close (seriously - no word of a lie - this guy has to be damaging his hearing with this given how loud it's got to be in his own living room).

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
I had a neighbour that complained once. He hasn't complained since. We're actually good friends since that time.