Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint  (Read 6953 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Re: Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 12:39:46 PM »
When I first started using my Weber Chimney I was using way too much paper packed tightly. It created a lot of smoke when lighting up.. so much that my neighbor knocked on the door to make sure we were ok (thought the house was on fire). She didn't care, but noticed I generated a lot of smoke. I started a thread about it here.. and had a few suggestions. I tried using less paper... which helped a lot. Sure, you still get smoke on the startup but it's gone within 10ish minutes. I never did get around to trying the cubes but a lot of people suggested them.

I like the suggestion of cooking them up something! Win them over with delicious BBQ and perhaps then they won't mind so much..

I have some neighbors that don't like one of my other hobbies (ham radio).. and I have an upcoming "battle" as I want to install something they won't like (but I am going to shield from their view). Big pot / kettle / black situation.

Neighbors can be a challenge sometime..
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »
Yes please get a weber chimney. That will help the situation. I too started with the chimney you have and after the second light the damn thing fell apart. It burned a hole clean through. I bought a weber chimney and no issues. Also, +4 on the weber cubes. Started using them 2 years ago and never looked back at the vegetable oil/newspaper route. Finally, like everyone said, cook for them. One thing I learned from smoking and grilling is you make friends real quick when you cook for people. I cooked for the active duty guys one night on to the tomato and they have been bugging me ever since for another cookout.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Seeking advice on how to handle neighbor's complaint
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Poor guy is probably getting hen pecked to death every time you fire up [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ha ha ha I was laughing so hard my wife just asked what was so funny. Told her it was something I read about clucking hens. She just gave me a smartass look. I used to joke with her and ask her what did you hens cluck about today whenever she went out shopping with her mom or friends. Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

bigred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
Sorry to hear your about your BBQ woes , sucks when the wind blows the same every night you light up. Good for you to chit chat with your neighbor.  Unfortunately there is no good answer. You like BBqing and they like smoke free.  Yes forget the paper in your chimney. Tell them you are not using paper and moving your Webber little further away . Ask him if it would help if you call - L/M before you Q. Don't change - life is a BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »
@bigred "Life is a BBQ" <- words to live by!