Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Convert 3 wheeler to One Touch?  (Read 2696 times)

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
Re: Convert 3 wheeler to One Touch?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »
Found it in the Kettle Pizza Deluxe $40 at Walmart thread. @Peaspurple any info you can share on this mod?

Got mine today and was cooking pizzas for dinner. Well worth it for $40.

Pizza looks great, but that OTG MBH   ...   priceless.

SJ
Nice catch. A little tinkering and some hose clamps did the trick, only thing is the top of the vent holes are outside the ash catcher. I'm worked no on something to fix that though.

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »
Sounds interesting, Al. Looking forward to what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
@Darko just curious if anyone's cooked on both 26 and SCharcoal. The price difference is astronomical and shmbo would flip at a 2k$ charcoal or for that matter any grill.

I really want to help, but I'm really not sure what you want here?  You ask about converting a three wheeler to a sweeper... That's not gonna happen. They are totally different designs. Keep the three wheeler as is, they aren't that difficult to use.

As for a 26" compared to a Summit, they are totally different grills. I have cooked on a 26er & a Ranch...but that is a different question.

Honestly, you can get whatever grill works for you.

I wish you the best.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Sounds interesting, Al. Looking forward to what you find.

Yes! It can be done. Craig is right with the upper vent holes sitting outside of the ash catch ring. That can be easily fixed with some bolts and washers. It functions fine. I had it almost to 700 degrees cooking pizza Friday night. I did not put an ash sweep in it I just use my Weber ash shovel for cleanup. I built this pizza cooker out of parts I had laying around. The ash catch system is attached with hose clamps. It all works well.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone on here was new at some point. Asking questions and getting answers is what this forum is all about.
A Wonderful Family!!!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »
Yeah, new and on an iPhone is difficult to navigate on top of also sometimes using an app, sometimes using a browser...

But I still think I was on topic. If the grill can't go to one touch then I'll replace it. The main purpose for One Touch is the grill will be on a deck and I have three kids under 6 and I don't want embers flying around hurting them, the deck or burning the place down. After cooking on my 'former vs the older kettle it is clear that an ash system / One Touch would be useful for me. Both the 26 and Summit offer the ash can better than a pie plate. Not trying to be defensive but...it's relative.

Now that I understand the issue better.... you could have ash pan and ring modified to fit your grill with 3 wheeler bowl vents intack.  Use it mostly as a grill with all 3 vents open and close it down for other use before starting and controlling with top vent after. You could still open the ash pan and dial in the vents while cooking if you want I guess.

There are no hard and fast rules here. You can talk about more than one subject if you wish. Now I know you are not a troll, big props to you for thinking of your kids safety and trying to use your grandpop's kettle.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:37:27 PM by greenweb »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
Funny thing to me is that with some of the hacked up mods around here, and the work/effort that went into them, something like this is deemed too much trouble ?      We have guys who've hacked off parts of lids to convert Blackie's into Pizza Ovens.    People machining special parts to convert SSP ash sweeps over to current gen OTGs.    Then there's @Winz with Bisbee, which is a whole other level of crazy !!!!   Can't leave @TexasOnion
out of it with his craziness.   

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
Don't be so harsh, guys. It's a valid question that does not necessitate condescending responses. I read the forum several times a day and this question is very infrequently asked.

@Spen1818  welcome to the forum. Yes, you can hack up a daisy wheel kettle to add one touch but it's a lot of effort and you will end up with a sub par product to one that was stamped from the factory. The daisy wheel parts will also get in the way. I believe this is why no one has done the "conversion". The quotes are because it would be a mess of holes an cutouts. Alternatively, several members -myself included- have added strategically placed daisy wheels to kettles. That's a little more managable and you have a lot more flexibility of where you can put them.

It sounds like you want to use the kettle but want the modern conveniences of a one touch. My advice would be to procure a Black One touch bowl then use your grandpas lid/grates/legs/wheels/leg rack as a "tribute" or homage kettle. Would be sweet imo.

There's several members in the Minneapolis area- maybe they will even have one they can provide you for cheap. How far is that from you?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 04:08:10 AM »
Anyone have experience working on 26" vs Summit Charcoal? I think the Summit is crazy in cost and the 26" is bigger.

I believe @SixZeroFour might be able to answer this.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 04:47:55 AM »
I work a couple miles from downtown Minneapolis but the kettle is 100 miles away at cabin. I appreciate all the effort on this and it will be something to think about but keeping it whole and moving off the deck might be the best answer.

This grill spent about 10 years unused and outside. My sisters kids called it "zombie grill". This past summer after buying the Performer unnoticed they had the kettle. I spent 3 hours cleaning it and bought new grates; followed up with cooking up some marinated chicken that got rants and raves from my sisters family and mine as well. We have a Brinkmann gasser at the cabin too that I cooked the same chicken on a month prior and the rants and raves weren't there. Gotta love that extra flavor from Charcoal!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 05:47:08 AM »
@Spen1818  If your primary concern is ash safety, you could look into procuring or making an internal ash tray. They are a little tough to come by, but Happy Cookers (Weber-like made in the USA kettle grills from the 70s & 80s) had them and while I don't know of anybody manufacturing them now (you'll find we're all crazy to the point where members currently produce at least 3 kinds of handles, white wall replacements, vintage ash pans, mounting brackets, and I'm sure a host of stuff I'm forgetting, so it isn't inconceivable somebody would RE-pop the ash pans of a company 30 years out of business), they are essentially a pie plate with holes in the sides for air flow.

Welcome to the club. Kudos for saving a sentimental grill and making more family memories with it. That's what the WKC is all about.

kob

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »

@Darko just curious if anyone's cooked on both 26 and SCharcoal. The price difference is astronomical and shmbo would flip at a 2k$ charcoal or for that matter any grill.
This video might answer your question.

https://youtu.be/EXB_lQYWols

For the price point of the summit I would be comparing it against other kamado cookers though.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Convert 3 wheeler to One Touch?
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 07:24:35 AM »
A lot of good advice here. I don't know if this has been brought up but you can get a new premium kettle for $149. That solves all your problems on this. Keep the three wheeler and learn how to use it without burning the house down or hurting the kids. It's been done for generations. This will also give you 2 grills so you can have double the grilling space for grilled veggies or side dishes. Or just more room for hamburgers and hot dogs if entertaining for a lot of people.

26" is a bigger kettle and the best value (in my opinion) for multi tasking and having plenty of real estate.

Summit is a kamado so if you have been wanting something that cooks like a kamado than this would work.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:26:09 AM by HoosierKettle »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »
Get the 26er man. You can access the charcoal area to add more fuel or wood without lifting the cooking grate out. You can't do that when going low and slow with the Summit. Plus you get a whack of cash in your pocket this way.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
Probably do the 26'r someday or if I can find a steal on Craigslist. I have a gasser and a kettle at my home and at the cabin so having more than one kettle does not make sense for me and mostly for shmbo. I just bought a Weber Q for $25 with stand and she flipped....