Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Convert 3 wheeler to One Touch?  (Read 2699 times)

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
Convert 3 wheeler to One Touch?
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
I'm new so if this has been covered please attach link etc. Can one take a late 90's 3 wheeler 22" and add one touch ash catcher?

The kettle was the last gift given to my sister by our grandfather. I want to keep it but love the One Touch on my Performer. This kettle is kept at the cabin and my Performer is at my house.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Convert 3 wheeler to One Touch?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:30:10 PM »
Hi Spen1818! Unfortunately a three wheeler cannot be adapted for the one touch ash can/removal system. The daisy vents would sit partially outside of the can. If you really want a one touch and don't care if it's black, they can be had fairly cheap on Craigslist or LetGo. Hope this helps.

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »
Sentimental to the current kettle. It was the last gift my grandfather gave before he passed away. If it drives me too crazy I'll just get a Master Touch or bring the Performer to the cabin and get a 26" for home.

So, no one has closed the three vents, drilled out a new center vent hole, installed a newer ash catcher. Kind of a lot of work I suppose but some WebHead has had to have done this.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:21:23 PM »
Sentimental to the current kettle. It was the last gift my grandfather gave before he passed away. If it drives me too crazy I'll just get a Master Touch or bring the Performer to the cabin and get a 26" for home.

So, no one has closed the three vents, drilled out a new center vent hole, installed a newer ash catcher. Kind of a lot of work I suppose but some WebHead has had to have done this.
+1 on leaving it alone and buying the 26"
Grandpa would not want you to cut it up. Do you have any pictures of this kettle you can post?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
No you can not change it.  Given the work involved...why would you want to?  Just enjoy your grandfathers grill as it was.

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
No pics as it's at the cabin. Base model 22" bought in 1999 with the three vents on bottom and it's black. I know it has wood handles.

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
Anyone have experience working on 26" vs Summit Charcoal? I think the Summit is crazy in cost and the 26" is bigger.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 05:57:01 PM »
What exactly do you want? Do you want to buy a 26"er, Do you want a charcoal summit?

Forgive me, but it seems to me like you're all over the place and don't know what exactly you want.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »
Sorry! you are excused as a new member here but I still needed to make my point and get this off my chest.

Anyone have experience working on 26" vs Summit Charcoal? I think the Summit is crazy in cost and the 26" is bigger.

What kind of question is that? Just not understanding it. I don't even understand why you would even consider converting 3 wheeler to one touch if you knew what was involved.Especially if it has a sentimental value. Craig gave you the correct answer to just get a used one touch kettle cheap and you still wondered.
My advise to you and all other new members is to do a search on the subjects you want to know first and then ask questions after.  With so many new members here and when questions are asked so vague like this.... makes me think of troll rather than a newbie looking for a good answer to a question.  Let's try to keep this forums interesting and engaging for all of us.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
I actually get this guys point of view. He is all over the place because he is trying to figure out what he wants.

@spen1818 keep the questions coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »
Wasn't trolling what so ever. The topic of a 26" came up in the post so I rolled with it. Furthermore, yes, the grill is sentimental but I would be fine with adding one touch and with being new I could not find a forum article/post on it. The complexities of accomplishing could be done, more work than what it's worth at the end of the day. Moving forward I'll keep the posts to a singular subject.

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »
@Darko just curious if anyone's cooked on both 26 and SCharcoal. The price difference is astronomical and shmbo would flip at a 2k$ charcoal or for that matter any grill.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
Bad idea. Probably can't be done and have it function properly. Look at the inside of what you have versus a new one.

Not knowing how to use the search function, being confused, all over the place and vague is normal for a new guy. I can think of a few numb-skulls who have a thousand or more posts who consistently do precisely this....over and over again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:27:57 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
Yeah, new and on an iPhone is difficult to navigate on top of also sometimes using an app, sometimes using a browser...

But I still think I was on topic. If the grill can't go to one touch then I'll replace it. The main purpose for One Touch is the grill will be on a deck and I have three kids under 6 and I don't want embers flying around hurting them, the deck or burning the place down. After cooking on my 'former vs the older kettle it is clear that an ash system / One Touch would be useful for me. Both the 26 and Summit offer the ash can better than a pie plate. Not trying to be defensive but...it's relative.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
I saw a MBH picture here the other day with a ring and ash pot. I'll see if I can find it...