Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: cleaning grill grates  (Read 3246 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
cleaning grill grates
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:02:48 PM »
any tips or tricks to clean grill grates that have stuck on nasty? my buddy suggested putting them in the oven and putting the oven on cleaning mode. anyone do that or have other ways?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: cleaning grill grates
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:15 AM »
Burn a super hot charcoal fire and scrape away. That's what I do. They are never clean like new but clean enough that I'm not cooking on the previous cooks grease and funk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:54:20 AM »
If they are rusty I usually toss them. Otherwise what kettlebb said, using a quality Weber grill brush or the Billy Bar grate scraper.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »
I used to fill the interior of my 18" kettle with balled up sheets of newspaper, turn the grate upside down ( dirty side toward the fire) and light the newspaper.
Most of the gunk was reduced to white ash.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:30:30 AM by Dsorgnzd »

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
I got some grill bricks like I used in restaurant cooking, knock the big stuff off and make a few
passes with the brick. Wipe down with a paper towel.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »

I hit the grate with a weed burner.  Only takes a few minutes, then scrape.  Usually spray with some oil after that.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:05 AM »
Propane touch. But said
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
My weed burner, followed by my Weber grate cleaning brush. And yup, the rusty grates get tossed.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
cleaning grill grates
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
My dogs do a fantastic job. Followed by a high heat sanitize. Beyond that I use high heat and an onion occasionally. I haven't used a wire brush in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »

I haven't used a wire brush in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I don't use one either. Use a wooden scraper.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
I use oven cleaner in a trash bag and let it sit in the sun for a bit. Rinse it off, and this will remove most of the oil and grease. Then scrape any remaining carbon off then wash with soap and water. Pretty simple. Any modern grate that needs more than this usually gets scrapped. However, sometimes the heavy gauge vintage stainless ones (and pricey 26.75/RK grates) are worth hitting with a wire cup brush on a grinder.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
I use oven cleaner in a trash bag and let it sit in the sun for a bit. Rinse it off, and this will remove most of the oil and grease. Then scrape any remaining carbon off then wash with soap and water. Pretty simple. Any modern grate that needs more than this usually gets scrapped. However, sometimes the heavy gauge vintage stainless ones (and pricey 26.75/RK grates) are worth hitting with a wire cup brush on a grinder.
iv heard of the oven cleaner trash bag method. I have a hard plastic bowl brush at work for cleaning aluminum engine parts also a hot tank. I'm just trying to re use as much from the donor as possible to cut costs.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »
Burn a super hot charcoal fire and scrape away. That's what I do. They are never clean like new but clean enough that I'm not cooking on the previous cooks grease and funk.

That's all I do.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 05:09:44 AM »

the guy I got it from had half a bag of lump and some random peices of briquettes in the bottom of the bucket so I burned it all lol came out ok. I need a detailing brush

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 05:17:58 AM »

I have 2 grate cleaners I use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill