Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 30 Chicken Thighs w/ Upper Deck Grate  (Read 1914 times)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
30 Chicken Thighs w/ Upper Deck Grate
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
First marinaded in Italian dressing and some Dr Pepper. Shook off, rubbed with a sweet rub and squeezed into a couple of pans. Covered and grilled indirect for about an hour at 300. Smoked on grate 1.25 hr. after first hitting top with more rub and spritzing w/ AJ. Upper Deck grate does what it's supposed to do with no issues.

Glazed about half of them with fridge sauce for 20 or so minutes more and got lots of compliments. I ate three of them. Sorry, no bite thru pics because my wife doesn't like phones at the kitchen table.

Here's my low and slow indirect set-up:

Minus grate and brick barrier:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 30 Chicken Thighs w/ Upper Deck Grate
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »
Very nice set up and chicken thighs looked great. I like the basket / brick wall. Are you using the back of the baskets only?

I have been enjoying using char coil rails for an adjustable 2 zone set up.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »

Very nice set up and chicken thighs looked great. I like the basket / brick wall. Are you using the back of the baskets only?

I have been enjoying using char coil rails for an adjustable 2 zone set up.

Thanks.

Yep, the Weber charcoal basket straight sides and a couple of fire bricks makes a great adjustable fence. While the rails allow an air gap to the coals, the bricks block a lot more heat and can hold back more charcoal. Under the foil are two laid flat so that the two on their sides reach the grate. I use the rails by themselves if I want high heat.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
Also wanted to show appreciation to iCARRY for his review of the upper deck grate. and the others that chimed in. [emoji106]

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »
Interesting.  Whenever I do thighs I just blast them with high indirect heat using a couple of full charcoal baskets.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:18:46 AM »

Interesting.  Whenever I do thighs I just blast them with high indirect heat using a couple of full charcoal baskets.

Done high heat indirect many times and I still will, although I usually go direct at some point as well to really crisp up the skin. My go to for just a few pieces. For pulled chicken or lots of pieces though, I prefer to cook longer so most all of the fat gets rendered. Braising first under foil keeps everything moist and makes for very efficient cooking. It comes out of the pans wet in its own juices and after 45-60 minutes of thin smoke, as long as you didn't cook in butter you won't know it started in a pan under foil, other than the fact you're not worried about the skin drying out. Not quite competition quality thighs, but I didn't bone or scrape and toothpick the skins, either. Still, very tender and got compliments from the mother in law. Also left with a big bag of pulled chicken in the fridge.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:36:31 AM »
Chx thighs are always a special treat for me.  Usually marinate and like you try to crisp the skin at the end of the cook.  Nice lloking cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:51 AM »
Looks dam fine from here! That's an interesting setup, which reminds me, I need to get an upper deck.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 05:55:28 AM »
Also wanted to show appreciation to iCARRY for his review of the upper deck grate. and the others that chimed in. [emoji106]

No problem, that's what this place is for. It's a great product and if you do some large cooks, it is needed especially if you don't want to run 2 kettles or bust out the WSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 05:56:12 AM »
I need to get an upper deck.
Yes you do

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:58:44 AM »
What I need is 26, I have never seen one for sale in my area. I always look. Never any for sale. Eventually I will just pull the trigger and buy a new one.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »
Looks pretty damn good! Love the upper deck.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
These thighs were the first ones I've smoked low and slow in a long time, and I'm now inclined to attempt Ray Lampe aka Dr BBQ's Jumping Jim's comp thigh recipe again, using the Vortex to achieve the high heat finish after first slow smoking. Thanks a bunch for the compliments and y'all get you an upper grate. Bbq pulled chicken nachos on the menu for tomorrow.

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 05:48:50 AM »
What I need is 26, I have never seen one for sale in my area. I always look. Never any for sale. Eventually I will just pull the trigger and buy a new one.

Stores normally don't carry them. It's a special order.  That's is how I got my first one

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »
Great set up. Chicken thighs look great.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app