Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke ring  (Read 2412 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoke ring
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »
@mikerocksthered prompted me to start a thread on this sometime ago. Are there techniques that anyone uses to ensure a great appetizing smoke ring?  Sometimes mine are good and other times not. I know the folk lore that smoke ring isn't a necessity from amazing ribs but I disagree. It's like my mother in laws gray deviled eggs. They taste ok but I don't want to eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:20:04 AM by HoosierKettle »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoke ring
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:13:35 AM »
I find the more seasoned the cooker the deeper the smoke ring.

Don't just believe everything amazing ribs puts out and do not think you NEED a Vortex.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »
I am wondering if it has to do with meat temp when you put it on the grill/smoker?  My ribs, pork loins and shoulders/butts always go on the grill fairly cold.  I've only done brisket a few times, but those went on fairly cool too.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:24:08 AM »
I know there is some scientific breakdown of a smoke ring type of deal. Something to do with the temp of the meat when it's put on. Blah, blah. I will say when I cooked with my offset, I got some serious smoke rings, and with kettles or the UDS, not so much. What'a the difference? Wood. That's my thought. But.... I've seen good smoke rings with kettles so what the hell. Maybe it doesn't make the meat taste better, but you're right, it looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
ok then

a smoke ring is the interaction of the myoglobin in the meat and nitrogen oxide

want good smoke ring, do not warm the meat to room temp, the longer it takes to warm up in the smoker the better the ring
and................. use some bark for smoking, it seems that bark has more nitrogen oxide than regular wood.
 I am a bit lucky in that because I harvest my own wood, well lets say I buy it in stick form, not in chunk or chips, I live in the desert and get mesquite every fall and let it cure. I go to the apple farms in the winter up in the local mountains and buy the wood they prune off, I do not want the thick stuff, I get the stuff I can get goof chunks from easily, it also has more bark to the pound than logs.

So, meat not warmed to room temp, bark. makes the best smoke rings
I am not saying you have to do it that way, just that is the best way to get a good ring. What you are doing is a slow cook with nitrogen rich fuel. giving the agents causing the ring optimum time to react
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »
That's great info. Thanks. Does the use of a water pan have any effect?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
That's great info. Thanks. Does the use of a water pan have any effect?

Great question!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
I don't take Amazing Ribs as gospel but this is a good read about smoke rings.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »

I don't take Amazing Ribs as gospel but this is a good read about smoke rings.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Though I've read some of that before, I read through the whole thing this time. This will give a good base for a test cook I will do soon. I plan on running 3 or 4 kettles at the same time on some ribs. Not sure exactly what I'll change on each one but most likely I'll have low and slow with water, hot and fast without and maybe the wsm low and slow with water to compare to a kettle. Something along those lines anyways.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »
want good smoke ring, do not warm the meat to room temp, the longer it takes to warm up in the smoker the better the ring

I am not saying you have to do it that way, just that is the best way to get a good ring.

Excellent advice!  I do what you are stating above with great success.

Also … The amount of salt in the rub / seasoning applied to said hunk of meat will play a huge role in the science of creating a smoke ring.

It is my understanding that the smoke ring will stop developing once the meat has passed an IT of 140℉. 
However, the meat will still take on smoke for flavor.

EDIT:  I did not read the above link.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
http://www.kbq.us/smoke-ring/

For your smoking nerdiness needs.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.