Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on a lime - Snapper and chimichurri verde  (Read 3086 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
First cook on a lime - Snapper and chimichurri verde
« on: January 01, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
I scored this lime locally a few weeks back from a seller on OfferUp.  The seller said it was left at one of his rental properties.  I've been hesitant to introduce it because there have been other acquisitions made prior to this one and I hate doing things out of order, but what the hell.

It was pretty clean when I took possession, all I did was restore the wood handle.

I'm actually sharing custody of this grill with another WKC'er, meaning that when the time comes to thin the herd, I already know who will take over custodianship.  (That member will remain anonymous unless they want to speak up [emoji41])
I fully intended to keep this as a looker, but as I looked at the recipes for the following cook (of which one of the ingredients was lime juice), I couldn't think of a better candidate.

Inspiration came from, of all places, an episode of Diners Drive-ins & Dives which took place in Cuba.

To the fish market! 

This guy in the center looked the best to me, and was also the largest at around 4lbs.Removed fins and spines, scored both sides, rubbed salt, lime juice, and EVOO inside and out.

This was my first time using lump.... yeah, that sale at Lowe's for $2.50 per 10.5lb bag was killer, (I was feeling all smug and shit for saving $75, wasn't paying attention, and got a speeding ticket for $150, lol, c'est le vie).  Haven't introduced this other green yet, again because I'm still waiting on another grill to arrive, but I digress.
I was careful to keep the coals away from the sides of the bowl.Added a little bit of orange and hickory wood.Craycort ring.18" Lodge pan..  After letting the pan come up to temp, added more EVOO and then the whole fish for 10 minutes per side, covered, no peeking.Here's the plated pic with the chimichurri sauce, and more limes of course.. Served with a couscous salad, a chickpea salad, and cumin rice (from L to R)

Thanks for looking and happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook on a lime - Snapper and chimichurri verde
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
Love it all! Love the cook, LOVE the lime, love the green! Glad you saved $75, otherwise you'd be out $225!

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
Cook looks  FANTASTIC !!! 

This pic is soooo cool .....
I think anyways
Search of Blue or Green MBH

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
That's a gourmet meal right there on a classic kettle. Like that pic too @buckeyesmoker

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
Awesome find and cook!  Looks tasty!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
Great find and cook

bcjustin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
Great job! I'm going to try a whole fish sometime soon

22" One Touch Redhead

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
Beautiful lime and cook.  Congrats!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Great find
And the fish looks incredible too!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 12:24:09 AM »
Looks great and I appreciate you taking the time to post the descriptions as you go along with your cook! Beautiful grill! How far did you have to drive to get it?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 04:21:58 AM »

How far did you have to drive to get it?
Fortunately this one was local, I drove maybe 15 minutes for it. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:39:25 AM »

How far did you have to drive to get it?
Fortunately this one was local, I drove maybe 15 minutes for it. 

Lucky!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 04:52:00 AM »
Yeah, it makes me wonder how many jewels are right under my nose just waiting to be discovered!

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 05:41:15 AM »
@Mr.CPHo   AWESOME lime and the cook looks pretty good too. I've never done a whole snapper...but your pics make me want to give it a go. It looks delish
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
@Mr.CPHo   AWESOME lime and the cook looks pretty good too. I've never done a whole snapper...but your pics make me want to give it a go. It looks delish
Thanks, Scott.  A couple things I learned before cooking a whole fish that proved helpful:
- before seasoning, let the whole fish come to room temp, preferably on a wire rack, flipping a couple times.  This took about 30-45 minutes (in FL where it's warm). I think this allows the skin to dry and the fish to cook evenly.
- when flipping and/or removing from the grates or pan, the skin will "release" when it's ready.