Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Match Light experiment!  (Read 1157 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Match Light experiment!
« on: October 09, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »

Holy Shit!  Let's break all the rules and try something.  "Grandpa had this little bag sitting there...he's not grilling. We have the gas grill. You want this?"

Smells flammable so far and had no ignition problems.

More to come shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:31:30 PM by blksabbath »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Match Light experiment!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
Have we been a little day drinking? Lol, jus kiddn. You gonna have to spray that kettle out when your done!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Match Light experiment!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
Small pork tenderloin brined and strung sitting opposite the fire.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
I'm went for it and put the little meat package over the Match Light basket of shame, turning every 5-10 minutes..depending on my angry sons actions.

Temp read at upper 140's in the thick part...pull, wrap, rest.  The ends were in the high 150's. ******In my experience, the rest time can finish things up.  Play it safe.  I do play by the rules with safe cooking temps, especially with angry kids that need to eat.  Middle was a solid 160.

Cut and enjoy!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
Nice job man!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Didn't even taste like Match Light!  I let them go completely gray/lava orange before doing anything.  I can see the temptation to go early, but one wiff says No, wait!  One or two of those briquettes would problem be an idiot proof snake starter.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:18 AM »
I think matchlight is a better option than lighter fluid if you have to use one of those two options.  Lighter fluid will end up in the bottom of the kettle and/or the ash catcher and will give you fumes an entire cook.  Matchlight on the other hand has the fluid only on the coals and it does burn off with enough patience.  I've seen BBQ contests on TV where the judges noticed a lighter fluid taste and smell on ribs and the contestant later found out that the person who owned the BGE's she was using had in fact used lighter fluid in it in the past.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »

Didn't even taste like Match Light!  I let them go completely gray/lava orange before doing anything.  I can see the temptation to go early, but one wiff says No, wait!  One or two of those briquettes would problem be an idiot proof snake starter.

That's a really good idea. I might have to get a bag of match light and experiment with using a couple for all snake and chimney starting. Might give it a little kick start in the chimney.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app