Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Don't use lump  (Read 5950 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Don't use lump
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
Hey Guys,  I got to use the WSM again this weekend for a rack of St. Louis ribs for the games.   I had an opened bag of RO lump so I dumped a chimney worth in the WSM, then lit another chimney and dumped on top and 4 chunks of Hickory.  It came up to temp and settled at 236.  Threw the ribs on and went in to watch the game wit hmy trusty Maverick beside me.   Everything was going great...UNTIl...about 2.5-3 hrs in and my temp is dropping...run outside and open the bottom vents a little more.  Thinking to myself "well this is strange".   Go back in to watch the games and temp is still dropping.  WTF?!?!
I go back outside and decide to open the door....Gone!  The lump and chunks had vanished!!  There was a small ember left and I was able to get it going again with Briqs and saved the ribs!!
BUT.....  only 3 hours for two full chimneys??   
I won't be using lump again in the WSM!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Don't use lump
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
Right, WSM's work better with briquettes than lump.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
I actually am no longer using lump with any of my cooks. The last straw was when I tried to do peaches on the kettle. There must have been some uncarbonized pieces because the peaches tastes like they came right out of a camp fire. Stubbs burns so clean. Did steaks last night over Stubbs and it was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »
Ya, I'm not a fan of lump anymore, either.  It burns way to fast.  I liked it at first for hot and fast cooks.  I did wings a while ago with lump and it burnt out before the wings were done!  It was hot enough, but I had to add a little bit more to keep the temp up to finish the wings.  I find I have much better control with briqs anyway.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
I mostly use briquettes. Lump for steaks. That's about it.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »
I mostly use briquettes. Lump for steaks. That's about it.

I agree here esp given the cost difference between then two. Lump doesn't have as much impact on the flavor for smoking as much as the smoke wood does. You need to pack the lump together real tight to get long burns on a wsm. You're gonna have a bad time if you measure briquettes to lump by loose volume.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 05:25:40 PM »
the sky is falling!

the sky is falling!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
WTF???  Are you guys serious?? @pbe gummi bear @TheDude @EricD @kettlebb

I'm assuming you are using a 22" WSM?  Allow me to RANT on this......

Lump DOES impart another flavor profile you won't get with briqs, it burns FASTER so that means you need to use MORE than a measly 2 chimneys worth for this cook, if $$$ is a factor then you need to get an electric smoker, and fuel is fuel and you need to learn to properly use a WSM. I can't believe this shit!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
@swamprb I don't notice a lot of flavor difference, from lump to briquettes. Although I usually let my coals ash over, before I start cooking. It's the heat you can get from lump, that I like for searing steaks. $ isn't a huge factor, but there isn't a huge lump selection in my area. RO is about the best I can get, and that's about a $1/lb. KBB is cheap on the holiday sales. I keep a couple hundred lbs in the garage. If it doesn't impart flavor... no use in using it. I also don't like refueling. I have an 18.5 and 14.5. Haven't used the 14.5, as it's still being restored.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »

Lump DOES impart another flavor profile you won't get with briqs, it burns FASTER so that means you need to use MORE than a measly 2 chimneys worth for this cook, if $$$ is a factor then you need to get an electric smoker, and fuel is fuel and you need to learn to properly use a WSM. I can't believe this shit!

Lump vs. Stubbs vs. KBB does affect the flavor of the food but imo not as much as the additional smoke wood and spices I use. My recipes and tastebuds are not that nuanced. I can't tell what charcoal I used by the time I dip the meat in Sweet Baby Rays! :P
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:37:08 AM »

I'm with @swamprb on this. I ONLY use lump. I can easily get 18 hours from a fully loaded 18" WSM (minion method), and the flavor is much better than briquettes.

Now I accept that briquettes down under are likely inferior to that found in the U.S. but I am surprised at the number of respondents who don't like lump.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 02:57:20 AM »
@swamprb there are two things to consider here. Heat intensity and flavor. Sure we can all agree that lump burns hotter and you need more fuel for most cooks when compared to briquettes. However, flavor is entirely subjective. For example when I've used lump for burgers and steaks I do enjoy the nice oak wood tones in the meat. The last few cooks however there have been some bad flavors due to pieces that weren't fully "cooked" to pure carbon. Stubbs always burns clean. Last steaks over Stubbs were better than the others according to my wife. I don't own a WSM so I can't speak to the setup but when I've smoked on my kettle, it's been a bigger pain in the ass with lump. I'm usually out every 1-1.5 hours messing with fuel and vents. When I do a minion with Stubbs I can get 5 hours of play time with the kid, take a nap, plop my ass on the couch and watch some football. For me, I'll take the ladder.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 03:11:48 AM »
I'm a lump hater as well. Only used it a couple times so probably user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 05:53:34 AM »
@swamprb, I agree Lump does have a different flavor profile.   But for low and slow cooking ,I'm going to use some kind of chunk wood for flavoring anyway.  I don't need the flavor from the lump when briqs will burn better and longer, IMO.
I do have a 22" WSM and cost isn't a factor.   I had an open bag of lump and thought I'd try it.  I was just shocked that it burned out so fast.  This was also only my 3rd cook in the monster.  I won't be using lump in the WSM anymore.
I will continue to use lump for hot and fast cooks though.  I've re-thought my second post! Lump may actually be better for burgers, dogs, steaks, etc....things that cook in a relatively short time.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Don't use lump
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »
I don't own a wsm, but built a uds. I made my own charcoal basket (which is a basket) that holds about 10 lbs of lump. I've had that go minion style for about 17 hrs. I was under the impression that using lump which creates way less ash was best for a uds so as to not clog air flow. I've used lump once on a low and slow kettle cook and it sucked. Temp swings etc.. Personally, I like the briquettes for the uniformity for the snake method or even just indirect for my kettle. I'll continue with lump for the uds.

One thing to consider though is that if lump charcoal is processed correctly at the plant, it will not impart any wood flavor whatsoever. Just like every charcoal, it's being carbonized. You can run into a bag where it was improperly processed and find a uncarbonized piece. That will impart wood smoke. Other than that, you have to add wood to your fuel source for wood smoke when cooking with charcoal. Lump or briqs.

I personally cook with whatever's on sale. I'll get some Stubbs when it hits cause it does have less ash and less smoke when low and slow. I kill kbb when goes on sale for every day cook and pick up a bag or two of or lump when it's on sale cause for my area, that's about the best brand. The rest have too many small pieces and foreign material. I stopped wasting my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:18:46 AM by Travis »