Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First ribs and some chicken breasts - help.  (Read 2021 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
First ribs and some chicken breasts - help.
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
So last weekend was my moms birthday but she was out of town. We are having a family dinner Saturday. I offered to cook and she wants her favorite, baby back ribs. I'm also doing chicken breasts with the skin on. Here is my plan, please help if you think I'm off base.

Ribs:
Remove silver skin if needed
Dry rub and smoke with peach wood. Try to keep 250 until the bend test. Then sauce and pull. No plans to wrap them

Chicken:
Dry rub
Run the grill at 400 and sauce when they hit 160, pull at 165

Grilled peaches for dessert:
No clue.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'd spend some time in the search bar but this week has been hectic at home and tonight is no different. Thanks for the help. I'll post pics as I go tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: First ribs and some chicken breasts - help.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
If you had the time, I would brine those breasts overnight but that's just me. Chicken breast has a tendency to dry out on the grill, but a marinade or brine would help keep that meat moist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »
I'm a fan of wrapping ribs but whatever..

Not sure what kind of help your looking for but I'd recommend marinated chicken. Generally come out a bit for flavorful IMO. You can have ribs cooked ahead of time and resting in a cooler waiting for guests. Start chicken just before guests arrive or just after for best possible outcome. Nothing worse than chicken that's sat around for an hour or more.

There are some folks that have done grilled peaches here. Maybe someone will share a recipe. I'd go with halves face down for a sear then flip over and place a small pat of butter in the seed cavity with brown sugar and a dash of nutmeg. Finish with a bit more sugar and a blow torch. Or just a fine scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
Kinda makes the peaches a side, instead of a dessert but we like a balsamic reduction drizzled on them.
Still need a 22” yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:23:56 PM »
Bone in skin on chicken breasts are great on the grill because they retain moisture better and are more forgiving than boneless skinless.  I usually do 4 chicken breasts in high indirect heat with a little applewood.  Usually takes an hour.  I make them frequently using the same method your proposing except I do not sauce them.  I like the crispy skin the best.  I haven't tried brining or marinating them.  I have homework now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:26:03 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
If I sauce chicken, I grill thighs.  You can cook the crap out of them without drying them out and they are a little smaller and easier to eat while all sauced up.  Plus dark meat seems to pair well with sauce.

Still, nothing wrong with sauce on breasts.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
@kettlebb  I would smoke the ribs using 3-2-1 method, Chicken really depends on what type Bone in/out? let us know. But I would use a brine if you can on the chicken. Good luck and remember grilling is fun if it becomes work.... Crack open a beer ;D!  Oh! just thought of this.. Do you have a vortex to do the chicken?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:34 PM »
No vortex fellas. Love the tips and help. I'll try 3-2-1 and put the chicken in a marinade tonight

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »
@kettlebb If you can get it try Stubb's Chicken Marinade. Its very good. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kCyxn30_c
I know you are doing Chicken but you can do the same with the Chicken breasts if you have the injector. I do mine like this! ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:50:49 PM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »
So last weekend was my moms birthday but she was out of town. We are having a family dinner Saturday. I offered to cook and she wants her favorite, baby back ribs. I'm also doing chicken breasts with the skin on. Here is my plan, please help if you think I'm off base.

Ribs:
Remove silver skin if needed
Dry rub and smoke with peach wood. Try to keep 250 until the bend test. Then sauce and pull. No plans to wrap them

Chicken:
Dry rub
Run the grill at 400 and sauce when they hit 160, pull at 165

Grilled peaches for dessert:
No clue.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'd spend some time in the search bar but this week has been hectic at home and tonight is no different. Thanks for the help. I'll post pics as I go tomorrow.

Here is how to win with ribs...
Memphis Style Ribs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKvjQFa0GUo

I hate wrapping, (3-2-1), etc and when I discovered Memphis Style I was in heaven.
Memphis gives you the best of both worlds because you can always sauce at the end of the cook for the sauce lovers in the crowd.
I also stopped buying those frozen loin backs at the grocery store and now go with only fresh ribs from the butcher shop.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
I grill peaches often.

Make sure they are "cling free" peaches if you can - the pits don't cling to the flesh.

Cut them in half and remove the pit. Sprinkle some brown sugar on the cut half. Put them on the grill indirect for "a while" - how long depends on grill temp. If you do them at 400 with the chicken, I'd guess 15-20 minutes. They're ready when they're "soft" to a squeeze with tongs.

You can sear either or both sides if you want, but not really necessary. I usually sear the cut side just to get some grill marks.

I cut them in slices and serve as a side, but adding some vanilla ice cream would make a really nice dessert.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
I just did three racks of ribs today. I guess my rub would be called a wet rub:

[2 Tbsp black pepper corns
2 Tbsp whole dried Rosemary
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp whole Coriander
1/2 Tbsp whole Cumin
1 Tbsp whole Mustard
Grind up dry spices
1/2 tsp cayenne
Medium bulb fresh garlic, crushed
Enough canola oil to make a slurry

No sugar.

I did them in a 26" kettle with a snake consisting of four rows or briquettes with chunks of hickory and apple set on top. I lit both ends of the snake because I wanted them ready for dinner and they went on at 1:30 PM. With all vents wide open it ran about 250F and climbed slowly to about 300F. At about 4:30 I cut back a bit on the air. Ribs were nearly done. I took them off to rest at about 5:00.

Google screwed up their links so I can't embed any more but I can link to a picture I think.  https://goo.gl/photos/4K3gNmLKRcFfmLyw8

Compared to some other strategies these are pretty KISS but come out good. These were pretty meaty and too big to qualify as 'baby' at 10 lb for 3 racks.
kettles, smokers...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »
Here is where we are so far. Took the ribs out at 9 this morning. Dry rub and let them warm up a bit. Got out my MT and did a full chimney just to burn off from the last cleaning. Got a basket of Stubbs full and lit 5 briquettes. Lined the bottom grate with foil. Ribs on at 1:30. Maverick says the grate temp is 273. Chicken has been marinating in apple juice over night. It's going on at 4. I'm taking the meat over to my moms for dinner at 6. Brother is doing sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Looking good so far. I'm glad you decided to marinated the chicken. You will not be sorry you did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Yep, lookin good !
I do both baskets for a 5 hr cook on two racks, flat.
7-8 lit briqs from each basket.

With one basket, you will have to re-load at least once I would think to complete to cook.
I would swap positions of the racks so that they have equal time in each position.