Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Direct Grilling Basics  (Read 3072 times)

William_Cannon

• Smokey Joe
Direct Grilling Basics
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »
Hi Guys,
After several years of a Genesis and WSM, I picked up a 22" Premium to complete the trifecta.

I cooked some young chicken breasts (tenders) last night and it took much longer than anticipated.  I followed the directions from the manual and used 50 briquettes  (K Blue), started with a chimney.  I spread them evenly across 75% of the cooker (leaving 25% for safety).   Vents were open fully.

What advice can you give for direct heat grilling?  How many coals do you start off with for high heat?  What about for other temps?

Tks in advanced,
WC

Tapa

j05hua

• Smokey Joe
Re: Direct Grilling Basics
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »
I don't count bricks. I just fill up my chimney and dump most in the middle and towards one side.  Creating 2 1/2 zones. Hot, warm and cold

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Joshua
the smoking mormon

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »

I don't count bricks. I just fill up my chimney and dump most in the middle and towards one side.  Creating 2 1/2 zones. Hot, warm and cold

I do this with the charcoal baskets. Moving the food direct and indirect as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
Hello from Il. I cook with baskets mostly for grilling. I don't remember who posted the thread, but someone had said before they fill one basket with unlit coal, dump it in a chimney, light and that amount gave them a 350ish "medium" heat. That was real good advise in my opinion. It eliminates using too much coal for those types of cooks, or if you need higher temps you just use more.

Maybe they'll chime in with this topic. Good luck bud. Keep on grillin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
I use baskets as well. Just fill the chimney, light and dump. I'm a sear and slide kinda guy.
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »

Hello from Il. I cook with baskets mostly for grilling. I don't remember who posted the thread, but someone had said before they fill one basket with unlit coal, dump it in a chimney, light and that amount gave them a 350ish "medium" heat. That was real good advise in my opinion. It eliminates using too much coal for those types of cooks, or if you need higher temps you just use more.

Maybe they'll chime in with this topic. Good luck bud. Keep on grillin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the thread but when I first got Stubbs I cooked chicken thighs. I counted 40 briquettes and put 20 lit in each basket. My lid temp hit 400 and I didn't really do anything else for the cook. My goal is to get pretty good at hitting temps with the right amount of fuel as to not burn through it too fast.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:39:06 AM »

William_Cannon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »
Thanks!  I will give it a shot this weekend.

Tapa

William_Cannon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:31:27 AM »
Quick update.  I was going to follow Travis' advice but I did something similar the weekend prior and the natives rebelled at the longer cook time.  Against all advice, I light 3/4 chimney which equated to 2 baskets.  Needless to say, I hit 500 very fast and cooked with the bottom vents closed.  This weekend, I'm sure I'll find the happy medium with an overloaded basket.  :)

Tapa

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »

Not sure about the thread but when I first got Stubbs I cooked chicken thighs. I counted 40 briquettes and put 20 lit in each basket. My lid temp hit 400 and I didn't really do anything else for the cook. My goal is to get pretty good at hitting temps with the right amount of fuel as to not burn through it too fast.

I have to say I've never worried about number of briquettes. I fill up my baskets if needed, throw some lit briqs on top and cook until food is done. Then turn the grill "off" and reuse whatever's left in the baskets by adding more briqs (if needed) at the beginning of the next cook. Add some lit briquettes. Rinse, wash , repeat.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
True with the briquettes. I found it a little more challenging with lump

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 06:33:39 AM »

This is what I do as well.  I don't worry how much coal I'm using for any given cook because I shut it down and reuse the remaining coal on the next cook.