Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wed Night Pies  (Read 3347 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Wed Night Pies
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »
Did up a couple pies last night. Roasted red peppers, basil leaves and some made in Italy sauce under a little mozzarella with some olive oil on top. Homemade dough using good double fine flour cooked up nicely in the almost 800f Weber Kettle. This pizza was done in under 3 minutes. A second took slightly longer as my splits were mostly burned up and my temp was down. AFH came over and helped me finish the second pie....my neighbor got to try some too....she seemed genuinely surprised at how good it was.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Wed Night Pies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
Beautiful!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
Looks great Hoss!  Those extra high temp pizza cooks are always fun when you stumble upon one!  Fine line at that temp between the top and bottom cooking evenly depending on how hot the stone is.  Sometimes everything aligns and your smile is a little bit bigger than usual for the rest of the night!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
Looks awesome, man. I noticed a crack in your stone. I've been wondering how you guys heat those up. Don't they have to heat slowly otherwise, break? How do ya'll deal with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
Looking good.
May The Smoke Be With You!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:32 AM »
I noticed a crack in your stone. I've been wondering how you guys heat those up. Don't they have to heat slowly otherwise, break? How do ya'll deal with that?

No. Just looks like one. It is some food debris I think.

When I cook in the oven I preheat on high for at least 45 minutes....my oven goes to 550f.

With the Kettle Pizza however my biggest split I can fit in there lasts about 35 minutes total...from start of ignition till the flames die. I have to allow the whole thing to become engulfed and burn "clean". By clean I mean no large amounts of black smoke. To get to that stage takes about 10-13 minutes. So at the most you have 20 minutes of cooking time before more splits need to be added. So there is no slow heating anything here. The heat is on and she is ripping. I have what I believe to be a good stone....about 30 years old given to me by my Dad. Pretty sure he got me a good one as it has lasted. A crappy one would probably have been toasted out at this point. I do not put splits under my stone but I do put a small amount of charcoal as it makes sense. So far so good.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »
Looks awesome, man. I noticed a crack in your stone. I've been wondering how you guys heat those up. Don't they have to heat slowly otherwise, break? How do ya'll deal with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I cracked my stone that I got from bed bath and beyond on my first pizza cook.  I've since replaced it with a stone from California Pizza Stones via Amazon or You can use Amazon or order it direct from them.   I think I got the 16" stone.  I have probably cooked 20-25 pizzas on the new stone and it has not cracked yet.  I don't preheat it before putting it on the grill and it hasn't been a problem.  If you look at their website it shows how they have tested their stones to make sure they can take really high heat without getting damaged.

Here's a couple more links to their page that show how they have tested it for flame durability as well as thermo shock:
http://www.californiapizzastones.com/pizza/files/pizza-stones-That-Do-Not-Thermal-Shock.phphttp://www.californiapizzastones.com/pizza/files/pizza-stones-That-Do-Not-Thermal-Shock.php

Until I have a problem with my current stone from them I can't see myself not continuing to support this company.  I have a feeling if my stone ever does get damaged it will be because I dropped it....and I'm not even sure if that would break it or not, but I am not going to put that to the test until it accidentally happens!

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 01:27:55 AM »
Pies look good, Hoss.  I see you still have some Dickel remaining ??

I do not put splits under my stone but I do put a small amount of charcoal as it makes sense. So far so good.

After seeing you do this, I have started doing it.  Works great! 

And, I highly recommend splits for high and sustained heat.  I have found that chunks burn-out too fast.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 05:36:57 AM »
Nice pie MrHoss! 8)

Thesnow321

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 03:06:21 AM »
Hi, pies look awesome... I'm also trying to do pie's on bbq but unsuccessful using charcoal to pie's taste to smoked. My  question what are splits?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 05:04:44 AM »
@Thesnow321  Splits = wood splits

Thesnow321

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 05:22:41 AM »
Ok...is there a type of wood split you recommend?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 05:30:31 AM »
Ok...is there a type of wood split you recommend?

I use almond fire wood I can pick up at the grocery store.  I do have a question though; is all of your charcoal fully lit and burning clean before putting on the pizza? Also, also are your top and bottom vents wide open? Just curious, because I didn't get a charcoal taste when I use to use just KBB charcoal. You can check out my little write up on the WKC main page for tips,

Thesnow321

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »
Yes , charcoal burning  totally grey, bottom fully open, cover is lifted open on one side by a 6" stick

Thesnow321

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »
Where can I find (WKC main page) your little write up? Is this write up at the beginning of this thread?

Thank you much appreciated!