Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wangs and Spaghetti Pie  (Read 1071 times)

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Wangs and Spaghetti Pie
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:33:37 AM »
Did a couple of little cooks in the last few days and will share them with you.

Breaded my hot wings and made up my sauce.

Fired up the Jumbo Joe and added the Mini-Vortex and a piece of hickory for smoke and then loaded the wings.

Sauced them a few times and took the wings off of the cooker. That little kettle sure does a nice job with wings.

Along with some chips and a couple of deviled eggs and one of those Zombie Dust Ales, it sure made a nice snack.

Saw a recipe on the web for spaghetti pie from the Food Channel and it looked pretty good so I decided to try it.  The dish consisted of ground beef, onions, pound of pasta, marinara sauce, eggs, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, and some Italian spices.

Anyway, put it all together and poured it into a cake pan that would fit the Cobb Grill and baked it about 45 minutes at a temperature of about 285-300 degrees. Recipe called for 30 minutes at 350 but the Cobb didn’t get up to that temperature with the big load. I think the pan was about 1” in diameter too large for good air flow on the cooker.

Got that big blob out of the pan and it looked great.

Added some sauce over the spaghetti and the wife made up some garlic buns and this turned out to be a very good meal.

Will probably do this one again....

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wangs and Spaghetti Pie
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:52:24 AM »
Good looking pie and wings!

So how does your cob grill work? It looks like your cheese got a great browning on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 05:01:32 AM »
Nice to see you again, @Old Dave !

For years, my dad's been making "string pie" --- same thing, different name. However, he makes it as a casserole.

And as it just so happens, if you have a 22.5" kettle ... the ubiquitous 9x13" cake pan size fits perfectly in the middle and leaves access to the side flip grates if that's what you have. I've yet to make something in a 9x13 that doesn't cook evenly*. It won't look as entertaining as a pie but try it as a cake casserole instead, on a 22.

* Indirect, using charcoal baskets under the side flip grates 180 degrees apart and pan in between!

String Pie

1Lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 jar  (15 1/2 oz or make your own) spaghetti sauce
8oz spaghetti, hot cooked & drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese   
2 eggs, beaten
2tsp butter
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup (2oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:03:31 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »
Travis,

The Cobb is a nice little grill and works great for some cooks. I kinda rotate it with the Jumbo Joe for most back yard cooking when I do charcoal cooking or smoking.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:08:37 PM »
Great cooks!! Love that pie!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk