Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Cook on my 14 WSM - Pastrami  (Read 3881 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
First Cook on my 14 WSM - Pastrami
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
This weekend I fired up my 14 WSM for the first time and smoked a couple corned beefs for pastrami. Sliced the first by hand, but since my thin slicing skills suck I broke out the meat slicer with the deli blade for the second one.

They both came out very tasty

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:08:33 PM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Cook on my 14 WSM - Pastrami
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »
Oh that looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
Mustard on rye please.
Still need a 22” yellow

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
That was tonight's dinner. Pastrami and Swiss on Jewish rye with spicy brown mustard
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »
My GoD man, bless us and save us that looks fantastic !!!                             SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:14:21 AM »
Oh mylanta.

Please teach us how to do this

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
These were store bought corned beef (point cut) that I picked up. The next time I make this I might try to do it from scratch with a fresh brisket, as they say that makes it even better, but as good as these came out I wonder  if it's worth the extra effort.

First, I removed them from the packs and soaked them in cold water for 24 hours to desalinate them a bit. ( I changed the water out about every 5 hours, but the overnight was longer).

I then made a rub similar to the pastrami rub found on amazingribs.com. I didn't have coriander on hand so I used the spice packets that came with the corned beef (which is mostly coriander) and ground them. Also my rub didn't have paprika since I was out of that as well. I believe their recipe called for letting the corned beef site uncovered in the rub in the fridge for a couple days, but I didn't start early enough in the week, so I just rubbed them and put them on the WSM when it was ready.

Kept the Smoker between 225-250 until it hit IT of 150 where it hit the stall, I then foiled them and put them back on and cooked them to an IT of 203. After I pulled them I let them rest for about an hour in a cooler while I went to the airport to pick up my wife. Then when I got home I unwrapped them and cooled them down and refrigerated them whole. I sliced them the next morning. I sliced the first by hand, but broke out the meat slicer with the deli blade for the second one to get thinner slices which is what is in the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:20:15 AM by AZRaptor »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 08:56:52 AM »
These were store bought corned beef (point cut) that I picked up. The next time I make this I might try to do it from scratch with a fresh brisket, as they say that makes it even better, but as good as these came out I wonder  if it's worth the extra effort.

First, I removed them from the packs and soaked them in cold water for 24 hours to desalinate them a bit. ( I changed the water out about every 5 hours, but the overnight was longer).

I then made a rub similar to the pastrami rub found on amazingribs.com. I didn't have coriander on hand so I used the spice packets that came with the corned beef (which is mostly coriander) and ground them. Also my rub didn't have paprika since I was out of that as well. I believe their recipe called for letting the corned beef site uncovered in the rub in the fridge for a couple days, but I didn't start early enough in the week, so I just rubbed them and put them on the WSM when it was ready.

Kept the Smoker between 225-250 until it hit IT of 150 where it hit the stall, I then foiled them and put them back on and cooked them to an IT of 203. After I pulled them I let them rest for about an hour in a cooler while I went to the airport to pick up my wife. Then when I got home I unwrapped them and cooled them down and refrigerated them whole. I sliced them the next morning. I sliced the first by hand, but broke out the meat slicer with the deli blade for the second one to get thinner slices which is what is in the pictures.

Nice cook!!!!  I'm laughing to myself because you did almost the exact same thing I did around St. Patty's day.  I didn't get enough pics to enter it in the contest.  I also followed the amazing ribs recipe including using your cheat of grinding up the seasoning packet that came with my corned beef since I didn't have corriander either (FYI - cumin is a great replacement for corriander).  I rubbed it with a thin layer of dijon mustard prior to applying the rub.  Used flat cut instead of point, but same soaking in water that you did.  I didn't wrap mine and cooked it to about 198 or 199.  Amazing ribs has the Katz Deli method where you steam it to finish it, but that didn't seem like the weber way to do it.   I'm not a huge Pastrami guy but my GF loves it and said mine tasted exactly like it should have and was some of the best pastrami she's had.  I also used my meat slicer and served it up on Jewish Rye with brown mustard, provolone and added sauerkraut.

I think I might have to go with a point cut corned beef next time.  The fat in yours definitely sends it over the top of how my flat cut turned out.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 04:22:16 AM »
Was looking at all the prior posts I have missed and had to comment when I found this.
I also did pastrami using Meathead's recip as my first cook. I got the WSM 18 right after St. Patty's Day and we had an extra corned beef left over and so I desalinated it. I thought starting with ribs would be easier but I ended up making both. My wife made homemade rye bread and homemade mustard. We did steam the pastrami per the recipe and it was very good. Looking forward to making it again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »
Looks good abett!

I keep coming across old posts of mine with broken image links, thank God I rarely delete pictures so I was able to fix the links in the first post.