Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do yall light your charcoal baskets?  (Read 5620 times)

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
How do yall light your charcoal baskets?
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
I was wondering what everyone's technique was when it came to lighting the charcoal baskets for those that use them.

I typically use a chimney. But, just seems too tedious to move the coals over to the baskets from the chimney with out missing a few coals or maybe lighting too many.
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
Re: How do yall light your charcoal baskets?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
Performer w/ gas assist...
but I find I'm using the SnS more than baskets these days...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:30 AM »
I usually use my gas assist with a chimney then dump.  I've used the gas assist with the baskets which works fine, but I think it take longer than the chimney does.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
Thanks for the options. I may just use the old torch.
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »
Lighter cube and a chimney. I have a dedicated pair of charcoal tongs, to pick up the runaways.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »
NO such quaint gadgets needed, for I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
Weber lighter cubes with Weber chimney are a winning combo.  I think they get coals going faster than using charcoal baskets and the gas assist on my performer.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »
Weber lighter cubes with Weber chimney are a winning combo.  I think they get coals going faster than using charcoal baskets and the gas assist on my performer.

Ditto.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »

Ditto.

That's why I use my Weber chimney with the gas assist. 8)

After about a year or so of doing this I noticed the grate (bought new in '13) had developed a droop with bent tines. So I flipped it over and a year later it's level again.  :)

The real challenge is with my '90s 26-er. Its charcoal grate is pretty bad, almost U-shaped, and those charcoal grates have a double-reinforced design. It's like the first owner always cooked with 3 chimney's worth of heat. I flipped it over a few times but that puts the charcoal only about 4-5" from the cook grate (or seems to, since the cook grate is positioned fairly low on those models.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »
Sometimes I use Doritos ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/used-some-doritos-to-get-charcoal-going/
I use Weber chimney and cubes too. Fritos work very well also. I always have a bag in the camper as backup.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 11:55:45 PM »
I got a blow torch with ~4ft hose attachment for the head. The tank hangs from my performer table. Works better on lump, so when using briquettes I sprinkle some lump on top.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 05:21:16 AM »

Ditto.

BD

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 07:55:24 AM »

Ditto.

That's why I use my Weber chimney with the gas assist. 8)

After about a year or so of doing this I noticed the grate (bought new in '13) had developed a droop with bent tines. So I flipped it over and a year later it's level again.  :)

The real challenge is with my '90s 26-er. Its charcoal grate is pretty bad, almost U-shaped, and those charcoal grates have a double-reinforced design. It's like the first owner always cooked with 3 chimney's worth of heat. I flipped it over a few times but that puts the charcoal only about 4-5" from the cook grate (or seems to, since the cook grate is positioned fairly low on those models.)

Interesting....my charcoal grate has a nice sag to it as well.  I thought it was from my vortex but now that I'm thinking more about it, I do think its from the gas assist and roaring chimneys.  I'll have to try flipping my grate over when getting my chimney going to see if that levels things out.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
Yeah it works fine on a 22's charcoal grate but on the 26 those 2 support rods then become like domes when upside down (they aren't flat, but U-shaped below when new.)

The other thing I try to do Mike is position the grate so that the flame shoots mostly between 2 of the rods. Otherwise you'll for SURE get bent and squiggly rods as the metal tries to get the hell away from the flame.