Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Steak Dinner With Olivia  (Read 1787 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Steak Dinner With Olivia
« on: March 25, 2016, 04:52:11 PM »
I went down to pick up my daughter from University today to spend the Easter weekend with me. Last night I went to my workplace and got the senior meat guy to cut me a special steak. Prime rib is on sale but the steaks already cut were a half inch thick....way too thin to get a char and be pink. So I got a inch and a half version instead. Fella didn't want to take the time...until he found out who I was having home for dinner. Seasoned the steak with olive oil, s+p, a little Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and a smidgen of white sugar for a beauty crust:

Charred up nicely:

Finished off the heat:

Dinner:

Money shot:

After dinner the dogs....especially the scary looking one mob Olivia....his name is not Satan but rather Burma:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:34:54 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Re: Steak Dinner With Olivia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »
A special meal with a special girl. Enjoy your time together!
Growing family = growing kettles!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »
A special meal with a special girl.

You got that right. Thanks.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Lookin great @MrHoss !  Wow my wife said no meat its Friday >:(. But I was looking at the dog funny and I said I need to eat some meat. She agreed!! Good show Sir!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
Good job brother, and good job to Mr. butcher for steppin up when you told him dinner was with your daughter. Good day all around.

dmbrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 03:27:46 AM »
Very nice!

I don't blame the grocery store, but I wish more consumers would realize if cooking for 2, it's better to get 1 thick steak as opposed to 2 thin steaks.  If more consumers started demanding that, more grocery stores would start cutting their steaks that way.  No way to get a bone-in ribeye at medium rare with a nice crust if it's 1/2" thick...

mchar69

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
  quote by dm    "I don't blame the grocery store, but I wish more consumers would realize if cooking for 2, it's better to get 1 thick steak as opposed to 2 thin steaks.  If more consumers started demanding that, more grocery stores would start cutting their steaks that way.  No way to get a bone-in ribeye at medium rare with a nice crust if it's 1/2" thick..."

The problem is this a one piece of meat that costs say $15 to 30+.
It's hard for people to get their heads wrapped around that.
But worth it in every way.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »
The problem is this a one piece of meat that costs say $15 to 30+.
It's hard for people to get their heads wrapped around that.
But worth it in every way.

Not in this case. A 2 pack of steaks was 15 and the 1 I got cut came to 13. Same money basically....I just got it in one big piece rather than the 2. The prime rib was on sale for Easter....be it in roast form or in steak. Normally it would have been a little over twice as expensive.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »
Nice looking steak Hoss, I'm a sear first and finish indirect guy myself. Good show.
WTB: Genesis Jr.