Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do yall light your charcoal baskets?  (Read 5624 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: How do yall light your charcoal baskets?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
There is a simple process for repairing charcoal grates that are sagging from the Performer gas assist:
1. Remove charcoal grate and place top-side down on ground.
2. Step on it.

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
There is a simple process for repairing charcoal grates that are sagging from the Performer gas assist:
1. Remove charcoal grate and place top-side down on ground.
2. Step on it.

This literally made me laugh out loud. I was expecting something totally different. Well done Sir.
Jim

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 01:08:49 PM »
Was aware of that but last time I tried it my 180lb frame didn't budge it. I'll try again on another one I picked up; grate is resting on the Performer's burner tube!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »
Performer TnG for ease and convenience in starter, Weber cubes in starter when Perf is busy.  Got sagging grates on several kettles, but @ $15 for new grates, come'on.                     SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
... Got sagging grates on several kettles, but @ $15 for new grates, come'on.                     SJ

I hear you, but that's not an option on the last-generation 26er unless a new source of charcoal and cooking grates has appeared.

Nevertheless I just stepped on the charcoal grate for the 26 I just picked up. Bad idea.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
Sometimes I use Doritos ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/used-some-doritos-to-get-charcoal-going/

Interesting idea, however the price of chips is pretty high. Must be 4 bucks at least for a bag of Doritos and that guy in the video dumped a whole bag in. Those little fire starter cubes would be a lot cheaper.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
ATS, the char grate on my older 26r was pretty good, didn't even have a cooking grate until Tom (@indy82z) set me up with a brand new grate (thanks again Tom, may the kettle Gods treat you well).  Anyhow, I try to never use brute force on any kettle especially an older one.   Try some heat from a low torch and the gentle pressure from a vice grip or some such.  It's not covered in porcelain so can't do to much harm.                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »
I needed some New style dark gray handles for a mod.i  grabbed two compact chimneys from Amazon  and swapped handles out and had chimneys as bonus. Now I use the two compact chimneys with gas assist  on perfomer. Each chimney holds a baskets worth of fuel and the two Smaller chimney gets coals lower to the burner and give more surface area which lights coals very fast.

If I am using my 26, I've been using A J 850 weed torch that came with a recent Craig's list score. Works fairly well too
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 08:21:44 AM »

weed burner
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!