Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I was craving a deep dish tonight  (Read 5485 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
I was craving a deep dish tonight
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
So I stopped by the grocery store and picked some pizza dough since I didn't have time to make any. Spicy Italian sausage deep dish.

Ready to go on the grill

On the grill

21 mins later it's done

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: I was craving a deep dish tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
I've been to Chicago a few dozen times and have never had a deep dish pizza.  Can you believe that?  It's going on my bucket list!!!!  Looks awesome.  Nice cook @Nate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
Damn that looks good. 21 minutes and it didn't burn?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
Damn that looks good. 21 minutes and it didn't burn?

No burn. These usually take me 20-25 mins. I use the ring of fire method so there are no coals beneath the CI. Oh, and my vortex inverted.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »
That looks outstanding. Good job thinking through that grill setup.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »
@Nate what temps are you running for the deep dish?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:23:35 PM »
That looks like my kind of pizza. Great job.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 02:43:49 AM »

No burn. These usually take me 20-25 mins. I use the ring of fire method so there are no coals beneath the CI. Oh, and my vortex inverted.
Is only one end of your ring of fire lit? I assume the inverted vortex is under the inverted charcoal baskets to help keep shape of ring of fire?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »
Thanks all.

@austin87 temp started out on this one at about 550 degrees and was down to around 400 when done. Half way through the cook I rotate it 180. Here's a link to to he first one I've cooked and has a pics showing the temp. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/deep-dish-pizza/msg121880/#msg121880

@jdefran The whole ring is lit. This is how I use to cook my standard pizzas befor I got the KP. I use to use an elevated grate to put the pizza up into the lid but the charcoal baskets are more convenient and do the same thing. And yes, the vortex is under the baskets. You can see one edge of it in a pic above.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 04:59:13 AM »
Looks fantastic. I've heard the deep dish pizzas in a CIS are really good. Bet it was.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 06:54:47 AM »
The new sub-forum has drawn the Pizza master from out of hiding 8) Great cook as always Nate and good to see ya posting! [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »
woww that looks really good.
I'm typically a thin and crispy guy (and i'm from chicago) - but that deep dish looks killer.

ever make calzone?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
Haven't tried to make a calzone yet @Troy . I had extra dough and was on the fence about making a Chicago style stuffed pizza instead, but didn't want to experiment since I was home with my 4yo girls trying to make dinner as quick as possible.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:14 PM »
@Nate I have that same Lodge skillet and now I wanna try this. Great job!
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:26 PM »
@Bustin Butt  This, I feel, is the easiest pizza to make and cook. A couple tips i have for you or maybe 3:
1) Make sure you put enough olive oil in the skillet where there is a good coating on the sides and a thin layer in the bottom. The dough should feel like it's floating in olive oil. This will give your crust that buttery flavor/texture.
2) use low moisture cheese
3) make sure the  sauce you make or use doesn't have have a lot of water in it. We make our own sauces which is basically a blend of whole San Marzanos (that I crush) and a little tomatoe paste. I drain all the liquid out of the can of San marzanos, put them in a screen colander, crush and push out more of the tomato juice. 

The low moisture cheese and low water content sauce is important so you don't have DDP soup. 8)