Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for a little Pulled Pork help please  (Read 6245 times)

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
Looking for a little Pulled Pork help please
« on: January 24, 2016, 04:55:17 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm trying to smoke a small pork shoulder (first time ever) and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. When I bought the roast yesterday I expected it to be a solid piece of meat. When I opened it up, it split in half, so now I'm dealing with 2 smaller pieces. It was 4.74 lbs total, boneless. Wanted a little bigger and bone-in but this was more in my price range for my first attempt. I got up and set it all up this morning and I'm about 90 min in. My temp range was surprisingly easy to maintain and I haven't opened the lid at all yet. It's holding 240-250 pretty well. The meat temp is 135 and I've read to wrap it at around 150-160.  I can only probe one of the halves so hopefully they'll be close. Where it's now split into 2, I don't know what to expect as far as times. Also, the thermometer I am using said not to close the probe wires in the lid, so I ran them through the bottom vents, bad idea? Not sure where else to go. I am using the minion method, I don't know if all the wood chunks have caught yet, it was smoking great when I put the meat on, but I expected to see it still. Any advice is appreciated.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for a little Pulled Pork help please
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:07:17 AM »
I have seen / heard of people running the probes thru the bottom.  Did a search, but can't find the thread.  Should work fine.

As far as the smoke, you don't want to see thick, bellowing white smoke.  You want to see whispy, blue smoke, or no smoke at all.

Hang in there … You will learn lots from your first time.

I personally don't fret over temperature too much anymore … It's done when it's done.  Then eat.   :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:36 AM »
Haha ok great thanks for the reply.  I was a little concerned that the temp was rising too quickly, but now it's creeping a little slower so I'm feeling a little better about it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 06:31:08 AM »
Yeah have the wires between the lid and bowl could crimp and lead to failure at some point. Mac is correct about the quality of smoke - thick heavy smoke is bad. When the wood starts up you may have some but any more that 4 or 5 minutes is not good....I pull pieces out that won't burn clean. Wrap around 160 internal if you are gonna....look for good reddish colour......then when the bone wants to pull out clean.....around 195 internal.....pull it. Let it rest for a good hour or so then separate the meat from the fatty hunks. Don't worry too much about cooking temp, just get within a range.....pork butts are very forgiving.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
Awesome, and that's EXACTLY my plan. I just wrapped when it hit 161, plan is to pull and rest at 195 IT. It's boneless unfortunately, so hopeful it'll still be delicious. For my first time smoking anything I'm nervous, but very surprised how well my kettle is holding the 240-250 range. When I opened it to wrap I was surprised how much fuel had burned through, I'll prob have to add some later if temp drops. Then again it's still holding temp so maybe it'll be fine. Thanks for the feedback!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:15:27 AM »
For doneness you want to test with a toothpick....never go by what a thermometer tells you alone. Hardly any resistance going in and none coming out.....should feel like warm butter. If you get stuck you can always finish in the oven.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »
Ok, noted. Question if I may, when I put the meat on the grill to start, it was obviously very mushy and soft, when I used the rings to lift it for wrapping, it felt very solid, I assume that's right on course?

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.  While I prefer bone-in butts, you can get some very tasty pulled pork from boneless ones as well.

Post some final pics!

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:07 PM »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party. Looks like you nailed it though. Nice smoke ring.
Still need a 22” yellow

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party. Looks like you nailed it though. Nice smoke ring.

What he said, save me some bark !
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
Dinner is served!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »

It's done when it's done.  Then eat.   :) :)

Best advice you could hope for! 
ALSO:  Wow, looks great!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
@SoupDogg77,  that looks just right !!!    Now, log your cook.  Get what you did on paper (or on you computer).   How a cook looks is one part of the experience, HOW IT TASTES is another.   The taste your looking for is the taste YOU and your FAMILY like.   If this pulled pork is IT, then you're done.   If not, then make a small change next time, log the cook, and see how it turns out.   The payoff for finally getting to where you & your family say "that's it" is YOU GET TO STOP LOGGING EVERY COOK ;D                             SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 04:34:59 AM »
Congratulations!  Looks fantastic!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM