Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for a little Pulled Pork help please  (Read 6243 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Looking for a little Pulled Pork help please
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 07:45:26 AM »
Sounds like some solid advice guys, I've heard varying opinions on wrapping. I'll give the non-wrapping a try on my next cook. Also letting it go until a little higher, 200-205. What is your ideal cooking temp if you could set it & forget it, 225? 250?

There are a few theories out there on cook temp for fatty pork cuts.  Shoulders and butts have a lot of fat usually and will come out just fine at higher temps.  My friend alsways does his around 300 and they have never come out dry and take a lot less time.  Despite seeing this, I still do mine in the 225-250 zone, but the main reason for that is my snake technique is dialed in for those ranges.  The higher heat method lets you fly through the stall you might see when smoking at lower temperatures.  I'd never do beef at higher temps, but for fatty pork it's just fine.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
Sounds like some solid advice guys, I've heard varying opinions on wrapping. I'll give the non-wrapping a try on my next cook. Also letting it go until a little higher, 200-205. What is your ideal cooking temp if you could set it & forget it, 225? 250?

Pivot point is 260 here......240~275, with about 260 as the central point.....moves things along so it doesn't take forever (& that's a long time, forever) with little chance of overdoing it or drying things out..... 8)

If you like lighter, a bit less crispy bark, by all means wrap the last third of the cook or something like that.....most times, I go crispy & just do a quick bit of chopping & then mix it thru the pile....only takes a minute & the flavor of the rub cooked up gets all mixed in the pile....

Looks like a meterorite, but doesn't taste burnt at all....

Just going into the wrap, there's some fatcap left, but it will mostly disintegrate during the rest.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
Nice cook 1Buckie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk