Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pepper Beef from Roswell  (Read 2200 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Pepper Beef from Roswell
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »
Well known visitor to the forums, Roswell, has moved to the west side of the Valley of the Sun. I picked up Roswell from @Winz last night and knew I had to get cooking today. Here's Roswell in his new home (at least for now) until we get our BBQ area built up in the back yard.

I purchased a few 3lb chuck roasts a couple days ago and decided to make three batches of Larry Wolfe's Pepper Stout Beef. First I filled the custom charcoal basket Jeff had made for Roswell with a bag of Kingsford Blue and lit one end with about 30 lit coals, added a few chunks of hickory wood and then put the  massive cooking grate in place. I coated each of the chuckies with Worcestershire sauce, Kosher salt and coarse black pepper.

I had previously asked Larry about non-alcoholic substitutes for the stout and he recommended beef broth, coffee or cola. I decided beef broth was probably pretty straight forward and not likely to add too much variance in the flavor so I did a batch with beer, a batch with coffee and the last with cola. The top half of the picture below is the meat going into the pans, and the bottom is after it was done and pulled.

And the taste test. A slider from each batch. The cola version definitely had a sweeter taste to it and the coffee version tasted different from the other two, but not like coffee. All three were good, but I think I preferred the original recipe with stout by just a bit.

I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pepper Beef from Roswell
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »
Great cook!  I always use Kilt Lifter and beef broth.  Like the coffee idea.  Great pics!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
Great cook!  I always use Kilt Lifter and beef broth.  Like the coffee idea.  Great pics!

I almost went with Kiltlifter because my wife isn't a huge stout fan, but I figured for the first time making it I'd go with the stout. I'll definitely have to try the Kiltlifter/beef broth combo next time around.
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:05:08 AM »
Great to see great kettles moving within the club, and the PSB looks amazing!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Great first cook on Roswell!  I look forward to the day that you and @1911Ron have a west-side Ranch kettle cookout.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
That looks good! @AZRaptor  What temp did the ranch hold at with that set up? How long did it hold?
May The Smoke Be With You!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
That looks good! @AZRaptor  What temp did the ranch hold at with that set up? How long did it hold?

It ran at about 275 for eight hours before I closed off the vents to shut it down. Held temp really well, and came back up to temp surprisingly fast after I pulled the chucks to add to the pans. The one thing I have to remember for next time is to line the charcoal grate with foil so I don't have to clean out the bottom of the bowl. Unfortunately I remembered just after I got it going and all loaded up.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 04:44:27 AM »
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love Ranch cooks.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
Roswell is a legend around these parts!! 8)

Glad to see she's still in good hands AZRaptor - congrats!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:09 AM »

It ran at about 275 for eight hours before I closed off the vents to shut it down. Held temp really well, and came back up to temp surprisingly fast after I pulled the chucks to add to the pans. The one thing I have to remember for next time is to line the charcoal grate with foil so I don't have to clean out the bottom of the bowl. Unfortunately I remembered just after I got it going and all loaded up.
Looks great @AZRaptor  I forgot the drip pan when I did my Brisket  :(
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Pepper Beef from Roswell
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »
Man, I could use one of those BIG kettles. Pepper beef chucks look really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »
Great cook!