Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Preppin' dinner for later  (Read 2149 times)

effinUker

• WKC Brave
Preppin' dinner for later
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:57:55 AM »
I'm off work this week having my varicose veins lasered away. Thought I'd take a minute this morning to prep for dinner.  I figure I'll save myself standing at the counter this afternoon.

• Meijer CAB Ground Chuck, 5 patties to a pound.
  • Sprinkled them with a blend of our 2/1 blend of our burger salt mixed with Mike Mills' Memphis Dust.  (We lovingly named this blend McDust)
  • We had some leftover mild cheddar from Sam's Club shredded & in the fridge, so that goes in the middle.
  • Wrapped with Meijer's bacon.
  • Jammed onto a wooden coffee stirrer.

Half of them are sprinkled on the outside with the McDust too before wrapping with bacon. I can tell the difference by the end of the stick - some are rounded, some are pointed.

I plan to cook them indirect at about 300 with a lump of oak on the grate over the fire. I think I'll paint a couple of them with Sticky Fingers Memphis sauce when they're about done.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:29:35 AM by effinUker »

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
Re: Preppin' dinner for later
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:59:53 AM »
I like it!

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »
Great idea! I think my kids might actually eat that!
C&B Blue Performer

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Here we go - the cooked & plated. My wife made some green beans with bacon, onion & parmesan cheese.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
C'mon man! You HAVE to cut into one of those bad boys and show us the inside! Those things look awesome!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
C'mon man! You HAVE to cut into one of those bad boys and show us the inside! Those things look awesome!

+1!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
Meat on a stick! Always a favorite.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 05:48:30 AM »

Sadly the cheese melted and wasn't much of a deal at all. These DO stay on the menu though. Maybe I'll fill them with onions, green peppers, mushrooms, or whatever else I can think of to jam into the center of a burger on a stick.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
Could you tell that the cheese ran out of them when cooking, or did it just disappear?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »
I'll give it a solid hell ya!

Maybe if you cut the cheese into 1/4-3/8" cubes and mix it into the meat it'll stay put.

I think I'll try making some bratwurst or polish sausage, not stuffed into casings, and put that on the sticks.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 10:18:24 AM »
Could you tell that the cheese ran out of them when cooking, or did it just disappear?

I think it goobed out the sides.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
I'll give it a solid hell ya!

Maybe if you cut the cheese into 1/4-3/8" cubes and mix it into the meat it'll stay put.

I think I'll try making some bratwurst or polish sausage, not stuffed into casings, and put that on the sticks.

I was thinking the same thing. Chunks mixed in with the meat. The bacon should hold most of the cheese in place.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
If you smoked them at 225-250 instead of cooking at 300, the smoke would probably seal up the cheese and prevent it from leaking out.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
This may very well be a situation that calls for, yes...........

.......Hi-Temp Cheese:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=204
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »
Once internal temp goes high enough, the cheese breaks, the water boils, the steam expands 1600 times the volume of the water from which it is changing phase.

Then we are sad. Sounds like they tasted good anyway.