Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lots of pork butt questions  (Read 1677 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Lots of pork butt questions
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »
So the other week I made some pretty amazing Canadian bacon. This time I'm doing cured Boston butt (also called buckboard bacon). I'm using the same proportions of sugar, salt, and cure #1, but changing up the spices (both have garlic and onion powder and were covered in cracked black pepper before applying the cure; the CB had coriander, cloves, and allspice for a Christmas ham flavor, the butt has cayenne and Hungarian hot paprika).

I got a 5lb bone-in butt, removed the bone (I want the option to slice it) and trimmed all big chunks of fat.

I have a couple options that I can see, please chime in if you see another!

• smoke to 140 internal and slice, will need to be cooked/pan fried before eating (most like bacon)
  • smoke to 160-180 internal, will be sliced like deli ham (ready to eat, does not need additional cooking)
  • smoke to pulled pork temp at 195-205, make "pulled butt ham" (saw this on the interweb)

Wondering if anyone has done anything similar. Also looking for what exactly happens to a pork but at different temps - I've only made pulled pork so not quite sure the ideal temps for each of the above scenarios.

I'm leaning towards a higher temp that won't pull but can be sliced, the plan being that I get most of the fat rendered and I have a moist product that is perfect for sandwiches. For those asking why I didn't just do a leg if I want ham, I'm working my way up in meat size and a full leg might show up around the holidays 8)

Appreciate any feedback.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lots of pork butt questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:26:57 PM »
I've just done 3. No, I haven't done anything similar. You just lapped me. I'll try to catch up on those concepts of something other than cooking butt to falling apart and pulling it. Yeah, on the beef side I've done the chuckeyes grilled and cuts like that, but butt has always been cooked to pull.

I'll bet any of the three will be good. But you sound experimental, so do 1. or 2. and teach something different. We all know pulled pork (and that is a good thing).

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »
I've also only done #3, but I'm intrigued by the other options. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Keep us posted.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 06:39:01 AM »
Youi finally got me going Austin.....Canadian just came out of the cure this AM!!!!

152~154, in plateaued stages is what people do for sausages so the fat doesn't melt & end up with a dried out product.....that's a bit different than whole pieces, so with the first option, maybe just a little more temp & slice & fry..........

The second, ordinarily cooking up to the high 170's, mid-180's will get you a pretty good slice on those things.....too far & your slices fall apart, too low & it's still tough........
This MAY be a little different when cured, one thing I'm unsure of?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:30:20 PM »
Youi finally got me going Austin.....Canadian just came out of the cure this AM!!!!

152~154, in plateaued stages is what people do for sausages so the fat doesn't melt & end up with a dried out product.....that's a bit different than whole pieces, so with the first option, maybe just a little more temp & slice & fry..........

The second, ordinarily cooking up to the high 170's, mid-180's will get you a pretty good slice on those things.....too far & your slices fall apart, too low & it's still tough........
This MAY be a little different when cured, one thing I'm unsure of?

@1buckie let me know how the CB turns out! It's fun to play with this stuff but agonizing because of how long it takes.

Ham from a pig's rear leg is usually smoked to 140, cooled and rested, then reheated (or smoked again) to 160 for serving and eating, but it's much leaner than a shoulder. I don't think cure will make a huge difference but I do think it will hold together just a little bit better. Trying to find the sweet spot between having big chunks of fat and something that's just nice and melted.

I'm thinking a REALLY slow rise to 170 or so, then a foil wrap and hold at temp for a few hours might be the best option. I've never had BAD pork shoulder so I'm probably nitpicking a bit.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:47:13 AM »
It may never make it out to the Webers......we we cutting off slices & gently frying it up for sammies last nite.......subtle, but nice flavoring from a pre-mix curing packet......I also have Tenderquick that will begin to get used soon....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"