Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery  (Read 10730 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 04:31:04 AM »
I suppose I get a kick watching BBQ Pitmasters and seeing the highly regarded BBQ restaurant chefs getting their asses waxed by guys that can cook and present the Four Meats like nobodys business. But then on the other hand those same guys get thrown a curveball when it comes to things like Salmon, meatloaf, sausage, Alligator or Buffalo brisket.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM »
True, but then again, if you ask a lot of competition pitmasters, they'll tell you the way they cook in competition is completely different than how they cook for family and friends.

Michael Character tried to cook "his way" on BBQ Pitmasters in season 1 & 2, using his recipes that were successful in his restaurant and catering business.  He routinely got his butt handed to him in the comps.  He only started placing after he gave in and started doing it the same way everybody else was doing it.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:15 PM »
KCBS Judges are trained to give the highest rating to BBQ that meets the KCBS standards, But the KCBS standards are only standard in and around Kansas City.  In KC pulled pork is made with KC style BBQ sauce - Sweet, tomatoey smokey with molasses.   In parts of the Carolina's BBQ sauce is primarily made of vinegar and hot peppers.  Pulled pork is vinegary and peppery as a result - BUT friends on mine from the Carolina's who compete in KCBS contests use KC style sauce at KCBS contests as that is what the judges look for.  IMHO thats NOT good for BBQ in our country.
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
The KCBS standards are what makes it possible to judge the contests. If all styles were allowed, then it would be impossible to pick a winner in my opinion. That being said...

I think that shows like BBQ Pitmasters are fun to watch, but they don't make me want to fire up a massive stickburner or push a button to start a pellet unit. And I mostly don't want to cook food just like theirs. (And Myron Mixon mostly seems like an unlikable dickweed.) I get more excited when someone on here posts a pick showing an imaginative way to use charcoal baskets or whatever. Something that I can actually try without buying a trailer hitch.

Quote I heard from a pitmaster (not on a show): "We cook the beef and the pork in the barbecue. The chicken we just cook on that little grill over there, on account of it ain't meat."

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
i understand the need to standardize the judging methods, that makes total sense.

The problem isn't with the standards, the problem is with people applying those KCBS standards to the real world and getting all retarded and snobbish about it.
"EOWWWWWW, those ribs are OVERCOOKED. Don't you know they need to be BITE THROUGH and not fall off the bone. NEWWWWB"

Drives me nuts. (and i used to be one of them)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »

"EOWWWWWW, those ribs are OVERCOOKED. Don't you know they need to be BITE THROUGH and not fall off the bone. NEWWWWB"

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »

Bwahahahaaaa!!!

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »
@Jon We agree on Myron - but I'v never really met or interacted with him.  I totally agree with you on the necessity of standardization but I have to ask - What is the possible effect of standardization?  Will there only be one way to do ribs??   Brisket the KCBS way or no way??  Is that where we want our hobby to go?  No surprises when you eat 'Q in a different city, everyone does it the same way??

@Troy In any group of people there will be some Dickwads - Apparently it even got to you 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
I have never met the guy, but season one episode one of BBQ Pitmasters formed my opinion. Further episodes haven't changed anything.

I don't think regional differences will go away. People will always be proud of the way it is done where they are from. My son and I took a trip a couple of years ago and intentionally had barbecue from left to right across the country at several places. It was all good. The major difference was the sauces used. Our favorite turned out to be a place in North Carolina, made by a young Greek immigrant who had only been in the country for a few years. So go figure - the barbecue is pretty much all good.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
I dunno?

I'm kinda into using injecting, marinating, Jaccarding, curing agents, Amino's, Phosphates, glutamates, MSG, layering rubs, combining sauces and cooking meats spot on for ungrateful and opinionated professional eaters. I had my 15 minutes of fame!
A KCBS BBQ competition cook's opinion of BBQ Judges?

KCBS isn't the only game in town! Pacific Northwest BBQ Association is one of the oldest and largest next to KCBS with more sanctioned events in WA, OR, ID, MT and Western Canada than the big kid on the block.

I've cooked and assisted at several KCBS and PNWBA CBJ Classes here in Washington state, and cooked good to mediocre meats for training new judges. I'll be honest when I say that I've heard comments like "that was the worst BBQ I've ever tasted!". (my wife was one!)  And I don't blame them for that. But when I have assisted at PNWBA Pitmaster Classes, they are BBQ 101 type instruction, I kind of enjoy the basics. I see very few go on to Competition BBQ.

This season I kind of took a break from the comp scene, both my teammate and myself had home, family and work issues that came first and the hobby came in last. But over the past few years I've attended classes from some great teams. Teams that cook KBCS, CBBQA, IBCA, FBA, GBA, MABA, NEBS etc. and a few that have been on BBQ Pitmasters or The Kingsford Challenge.
More often, I was looking to pick up on regional flavors and techniques AND cooking styles.
You know you are in the right place when VERY successful teams are in attendance. I tasted some very good comp BBQ from those classes, but nothing that rocked my world. Techniques is what I'm after and how to recover when things go south. From the instruction I've gotten from teams that are successful on specific or multiple pit types, I've gotten the confidence to be able to cook on practically anything. Nothing really groundbreaking, but more "A-HA moments" that I can count.

Backyard BBQ, Comp BBQ and Commercial BBQ are 3 different things.

Simple is best!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

EddieMemphis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
Rule #1- Turn off the television.
Rule #2- Opinions are like a$$holes... they all stink!
Rule #3- Eat, drink and be merry!

Eddie

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 06:09:56 AM »
ditto ^^^
-don't watch tv*
-who cares about actors opinions
-bringing next round

*On cooking shows:
You can really tell legitimate (chef/cooks) from way of camera cuts & the way people hold the "tools" most are BS artist/actors
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE