Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for some advice from you all.  (Read 3044 times)

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
Looking for some advice from you all.
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »
I am still new to the Kettle cooking ways but slowly getting used to it.  So far I have just done the regular every day cooking on it.  All of which the food has been so much better than my Charbroil gasser that I was using.  I now want to start doing to slow cooks on it as well.  I was going to invest in either the SnS or G'rillaQue but relized I first need to get me a good Instant read and probe style that I can leave in the cooker as well.  I can't afford a Thermapen atm so was just looking for your advice on which Thermometers would be good to look at.  I am on a budget right now but would like to get the best I can atm if I can.  Thanks all for your advice.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: Looking for some advice from you all.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
For an instant read thermometer a ThermoPop works great. They are only $29 and made by the same company as the Thermapen.

For a Thermometer to watch grate temperature and food temperature the Maverick ET-733 for around $69 works great also.

I have both and they both work great.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
You don't need any special devices to smoke on your weber

Start out with a basic snake method. Or if you already have baskets, just use one and add a few lit briquettes to a basket full of unlit.
Or you can use firebricks.

Seriously. TRY smoking in your kettle before investing in kettle smoker accessories.

As for thermometer, the Maverick 732 is still my top choice.
The 733 is same thing, but with preset alarms for different meats.
The 735 takes 4 probes and relies on your phone and bluetooth. BUT IT SUCKSSSSSSSSSS

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:08:21 PM »
Definitely a Maverick, either 732 or 733. I have a Thermopop and it's fantastic. I use it all the time.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
I'm with Troy, just go ahead and jump in!

As far as instant read, I've got the thermopop, but really only use it for chicken. I do the probe test for tenderness on all large cuts. So when I'm doing pork butts or a brisket I use it but it's usually not on.

As far as the leave in thermometer, most of the time I just go with a simple dial oven thermometer that I got at Walmart for like $4, works great! That being said the remote probe one I have I got at Aldis for like $14.

I understand wanting all the toys, there's still a lot on my list too, and being on a budget... I say go get an oven thermometer, and spend the rest on meat.

What are you planning on cooking, might be able to give you more specifics on set up and times.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:31 PM »
I can't afford the thermopen either. My next instant read will be th javelin on Amazon. Great reviews at less then a third the price of the thermopen.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Will definitely check out those out. 
@Troy : Thanks for the link. Will give it all a try to see which works best for me. Thanks again
@WNC :  thank you as well. Well I don't know if you have ever heard of Nahunta Pork Center here in eastern NC but I live next door so we eat a lot of pork around here Lol. Would also love to smoke a Brisket as well and plenty of spatchcock and beer can a Chicken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:27:05 AM by Slicer021 »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
I use my Maverick 732 for everything. I have a commercial instant read thermometer from a restaurant that I used to work at. Cost is like $250. It works great, but rarely gets used. Once a year on the thanksgiving day turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
As mentioned above a oven thermometer is for my grate temp and i do have a Thermapen, a Thermopop will work just as well, that and the advice Troy gave should set you right.

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:46 AM »

The 733 is same thing, but with preset alarms for different meats.

@Troy does the 732 have the dual probes you can use for meat and or ambient temp? I was under the impression that was the big advantage of the 733 compared to the 732.
Hotty Toddy!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »
732 has both. That's what I use, myself.
Still need a 22” yellow